Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2 quick questions

I have two questions.

The first one has nothing to do with school buses but there is so much knowledge on this site I am sure some can answer this question?
Is it against the law to get a flat bed truck, say a Ford 650 dual cab and buy a camper trailer - say an airstream, take the wheels of and bolt it to the flat bed?

Second question.
What is the longest school bus built ( I am sure I can find this out ) has anyone ever heard of anyone taking the back of the bus turning it into double door so you can open them up so you than dive a car into the back of the bus? Is something like this doable with a school bus>
Thanks.

Wayne Lea

Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Re: 2 quick questions

Question 1

Absolutely not illegal...but "They" will want some money if you want an RV title, or a some other kind of title.

Question 2

Have not a clue. Guessing most of the longer buses will be in the 37ft range. You might find some 40 plus footers but they are not common as far as I know
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
Question 1

Absolutely not illegal...but "They" will want some money if you want an RV title, or a some other kind of title.

Question 2

Have not a clue. Guessing most of the longer buses will be in the 37ft range. You might find some 40 plus footers but they are not common as far as I know

Regarding the flat bed:
Interesting, I am surprised more folks are not doing this set up especialy if it is not illegal,I thought about this about a week ago and you could set up some cool expedition style RV's
Old 02-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
Tandem Gilligs and Crowns are always 40 feet long, as is my 2-axle Crown pusher. To load vehicles into the back means a mid- or front-engine bus, because my engine room is higher than floor level. How will you manage with the wheel humps inside? Maybe a FE flat-front bus would be better for your needs, because they are much longer behind their rear axles than pushers. Several folk here have done such a conversion to carry vehicles.

John
Never thought about the wheel wells, good point.
What is an FE front bus??
Regarding a front motor or mid motor bus, are they OK for mountain driving??
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

FE - Front Engine, Puller.
RE - Rear Engine, Pusher.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

40 feet is generally the longest school bus.

Different states have different rules for how to license odd-ball vehicles, so you need to ask your state about that particular combination. Generally, it is best to be registered as an RV.

Several buses here on this forum over the years have double rear doors, and some are used to haul a car. Certainly doable. The wheel wells stick up a little, but you can build ramps over them.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

I had a twenty five foot Airstream. I stole it for $500, title and all. It was trashed and need a complete overhaul. The axles were bent as well. Here is the problem with Airstreams(or advantage). The axles, frame, and shell are dependent on each other for strength and stability. For example the floor is really a part of the shell and has to be attached as such. The axles are specific to the weight of the trailer and interior load. Too loose and the trailer bottoms out. Too stiff and the shock gets transferred to the shell, which is bad. You cannot put the shell on just any platform without addressing all of those issues.
I found this website and discovered that the possibilities with a school bus were far greater than those of an Airstream. Now an Airstream, socially speaking, is "high fallootin." They are "all the rage." Just check out the Airstream forums. You do anything to those things that is a little out of the ordinary there will be those that look down on you....Purist to the bone. A skoolie purist will cut the roof off, make his bus into a giant convertible, call it good, and get high fives from everyone here. In fact, the more "outside of the box" you are with follow thru, the more support you will get here.
I sold that Airstream in short order to the first guy with a truck(craigslist, what a pain in the ass) for enough money to buy the bus. I can put 20 people on top, sleep eight comfortably, and carry all kinds things I think will improve the party, including farm animals....kidding. But you could.
Airstreams are a statement, no doubt. Call me utilitarian, or white trash, or whatever, but I prefer the possibilities of a "37' yellow dog". That statement suits me better.

.....uhh did I answer your question????
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote