Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #1

2 Vent Fans Necessary?

Hey everybody our bus is stripped and we are about to start our work on the roof of the bus before putting the insulation and ceiling in. We are trying to fit as much solar on the roof as well as a little deck in the back with a vent fan over the bed. We originally wanted to do two vent fans for maximum air flow but are finding it hard to fit the second front fan and are now wondering if it’s really necessary since we have windows that can be opened to increase the air flow.

My question is that when you have that many windows as there are in a short skoolie is it necessary for the dual fan or are the windows sufficient enough for good airflow to keep cool while sleeping. Thanks!

epbecker94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
2 fans is nice, but if you need to sacrifice a fan for solar then I think it should be alright. Having operating windows is a pretty huge deal for ventilation. You'll use your solar much more often than you'll use your roof vents.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
2 fans is nice, but if you need to sacrifice a fan for solar then I think it should be alright. Having operating windows is a pretty huge deal for ventilation. You'll use your solar much more often than you'll use your roof vents.

Thanks yes this is where we’re at. We were also toying with the idea of just putting a small blower motor fan that would suck air out of the bus and fit under our solar panels but debating if that would matter since we have the windows.
epbecker94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
heat rises so all of your hot air will be at roof level.
all of your cold air from air conditioning drops.
the idea of roof vents is to pull the hot air out and thats why they are on the roof.
how many you need?
figure the sqaure foot of your build and look at the specifications for what sqaure foot a single fan can handle.
an opinion?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
heat rises so all of your hot air will be at roof level.
Have you (or anybody reading this) ever measured the temperature differential between the ceiling and floor in your skoolie? I never thought to actually measure this the winter before last, but it never felt like it was some enormous temperature gradient. I'm going to measure it this winter if I can remember; my guess is it will be something like 72°F at the ceiling and 68°F on the floor, but perhaps it will be more than I think.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:50 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
MaxxAir makes a fan called the Maxxfan Dome that can be mounted horizontally with the appropriate shroud installed. It is smaller in size but ventilation is ventilation. I'm planning on putting it on the wall in the shower room to vent humidity. You could use one of those in an area where you believe the main roof vent wouldn't help ventilate.
Clouse House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
MaxxAir makes a fan called the Maxxfan Dome that can be mounted horizontally with the appropriate shroud installed. It is smaller in size but ventilation is ventilation. I'm planning on putting it on the wall in the shower room to vent humidity. You could use one of those in an area where you believe the main roof vent wouldn't help ventilate.

Thanks! I wanted one in my bathroom and was wondering if i could mount a standard one. But the Dome is way cheaper and fits to purpose.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote