Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Chassis: IC PB10500 CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 48
Smile 2000 mid-sized International DT440 with 80 pictures

Hello,

This is the 3rd bus we have looked at and are unsure of what we have found.
It's a 2000 International DT440 with a 6.7 straight 6.
I believe the transmission is an AT545.
Engine completely rebuilt has 32,000 miles
1600 hours.

I found this bus on the side of the road some guy is selling it.
Here are 80 pictures here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KeJ9MdxWrD5bbLrX9

Can you help me with seeing the issues that I am missing about this bus.

The transmission seems to be leaking, he said he would fix that. He wasn't concerned, but we are.

Any comments are greatly appreciated and I will buy you a drink when we see you at the next camp ground.

thanks
Kevin

kevinstotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the engine is a DT466E (7.6 litre inline 6 turbo diesel)

the trans does look like an AT545. hard to tell if the leak is engine oil or trans fluid.. sometimes the engine draft tube weill blow oil on the under-carriage.. esp if its ever been over filled.. it will be on the back of the engine and on the trans.

I dont worry asbout smnall leaks.. I think all of my busses leave a couple drops of oil on the ground here and there.. i keep the fluids checked every day i drive them..

now if its dripping all over the place or the trans doesnt operate correectly (gets hot) then id have concern. the AT545 isnt a great highway transmission to begin with.

transmissions will drop a bit of fluid iof they are overfilled and then run hot at all, they vent fluid out on the top.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
Bus Geek

im guessing thats a asouthern bus? I noticed the lack of anbything but the main driver heater / defroster.. also the under carriage doesnt look rusty which is a plus!
Old 12-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

central fl.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Those split radiators are not the best for keeping a DT466 cool especially with the AT545. I have taken the fitting off the top to peak at the radiator tubes and see if they are clogged at the top. You do have several leaks that may not be an issue except at the timing cover area. not sure where that is coming from.
I would not trust the odometer and hour meter. I think it to be unusual that the rebuild info coincides with the dash info. I would want information off the ecm to make a better judgement along with some documentation of work. The question would be how many miles does the rest of the bus have.
The right rear inside tire looks to have an issue in the short video, but I really can't tell. I would definitely get the DOT date for the tires. I would replace an old tire or one with cracking sidewalls regardless of the tread.
I have bought some dirty southern buses myself and I have bought some absolutely clean ones. The clean ones have run better and have had fewer issues. Price sells buses, so are you going to tell how much the asking price is?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

He was asking $2500.

But due to the AT545, I think this won't work for us. We plan on doing the Rocky Mountains and the SW.
It needs 6 tires. He put extra tall ones on. This helps him not get stuck in the fields where he mainly used it.
He pointed out 3 things to watch out for that fail.
1) some pressure pump that helps with the fuel injection pump ($600)
2) some sensor on the front of the engine that seems to fail/fall off/loosen if you drive on the highway a long time. I think it's the connection
3) i forget the 3rd one.

I believe its actually a 1998 or 99 instead of a 2000

He really likes the AT545 for the fields that he uses them in. it's strong. I don't think he understands the ramifications of driving a mountain road...or maybe i don't understand.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Rear end gearing makes a big difference in the driveability of these buses. Try and find out what the gear ratio is on that bus. It will tell you a lot about how nice it will be to drive on the highway.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Bus Geek

the pump is called the HPOP or High pressure oil Pump.(builds oil pressure for the injectors)

the sensor on the rear engine is called the CPS or Crank position sensor(tells the computer where the enbgine rotation is)

a sensor on the front is the ICP or Injectiom Control Pressure Sensor(tells the computer how much injector oil pressure there is)

the 3rd one like the IPR or Injection Pressure Regulator.. it regulates the pressure fot the injectors..

these things are not bad to replace and dont always fail..

the AT545 in stop N go is perfect.. not sure what the extra tall tires are.. 11R22.5? that sounds about right for a full chassis bus ..they are a common semi truck size.. you dont need to make them smaller unless they rub or cause other issues.. only replace if they are too old or are worn out / damaged / weather-cracked.. 6 tires would be a couple grand so be aware of that when shopping for busses..

with only the single fan driver heater that bus will be cold if you drive it up north in the snow or such unless you insulate it really well.. on the plus side you donmt have rtear heaters and such to remove if you were going to take them out anyway