Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question 2001 RE Blue Bird opinion?

Hey everyone,

Found a RE Cummins 8.3 ICS, Allison 3000 6 speed, pass through bay, 250k mile bus. Took it for a drive on the freeway and did 70mph at 2000rpm (governed to 2000rpm-is this something I could get changed?).

Has some rust, but the structure looks good. In a dry state, but with winter salt on the roads. I've heard other buses from this state have some rust but most don't have anything major. Tires are in great shape and all within 5-7 years old w/at least one retread. Seat posts are rusty at the floor (guessing from hosing it out) but not sunk in, 1" rusted out hole in corner of stairs, and some other body rust, but nothing major. Asking $4500. We want to lift the roof, convert, and live fulltime for at least 3 years in it, for a family of 5 (kids would be under 12 when it 'should' be done). Planning on doing it right and taking 2-3 years for the full conversion.

How's that sound? Would love some opinions or things to be aware of. ATM we're thinking of grabbing it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5987.jpg   IMG_5988.jpg   IMG_5992.jpg   IMG_5993.jpg   IMG_5994.jpg  

IMG_5995.jpg  

alpedfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Great powertrain but just make sure you tackle that rust thoroughly before you go building over it or it will keep deteriorating out of sight until it becomes too big and expensive to deal with and devalue your entire project.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I would agree. Great power train, but that is more than just simple rust. The rust has gotten under the paint on the frame and bubbled up to the point of flaking off. It doesn't look horrible now, but if you don't make it a priority to treat it now, then don't buy the bus. Find something with less rust. Can almost guarantee if there is that much rust on the frame, there will be a decent amount on the inside floor under the plywood, so be ready for that.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
If you're dead set on that powertrain you may have to suck it up and deal with the rust. Pretty hard to find an 8.3 ISC bus for less than 6-8 grand.

I paid $4000 for mine last summer in Colorado. Same year/type as that bus only it was rust free (it did have a dented rear cap and some nasty scrapes on the side belly doors).
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
If you're dead set on that powertrain you may have to suck it up and deal with the rust. Pretty hard to find an 8.3 ISC bus for less than 6-8 grand.

I paid $4000 for mine last summer in Colorado. Same year/type as that bus only it was rust free (it did have a dented rear cap and some nasty scrapes on the side belly doors).
Mine is a 2002. It came with a dented cap as well.

If the rust can be dealt with that is a good buy at $4500.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
To get a good idea of how severe the rust is on the bus. Crawl under it with a screw driver and poke at rusty spots in the floor. Around the wheel wells and stairs tend to be the worst.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote