Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
40 foot no air ride or 38 feet with air ride?

I've found 2 buses that I like but can't decide on the 40 foot bus without air ride suspension or the 38 foot bus with air ride. I really want air ride and I really want 40 feet since we're a family of 6; we will be traveling a fair bit together in the summer months.

What do you guys think about the benefits of air ride?
That extra 2 feet could mean a washer and dryer!

Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Howdy Bon Voyage,

Do you have the opportunity to test drive them to see for yourself the difference in ride?

I would also be weighing other factors seriously: Year, make, model, mileage, engine & trans specs as well as overall condition.

Tell us more about the two buses?

My bus is not air ride and it does not ride too badly. I may in the future consider adding airbags & removing a leaf or three from the springs.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
I've found 2 buses that I like but can't decide on the 40 foot bus without air ride suspension or the 38 foot bus with air ride. I really want air ride and I really want 40 feet since we're a family of 6; we will be traveling a fair bit together in the summer months.

Air ride or two extra feet of bouncy farm truck ride. No brainer. Air ride is the shiiiiit.
Leaf springs will beat your washer/dryer to death real quick. I know someone who had that happen.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut

There are a few differences
Bus 1:
Thomas built with the funny mirrors
already painted white
air ride
Cat C7 engine
38 feet

Bus 2:
Blue Bird
school bus yellow
Cummins ISC
40 feet

they both have about the same mileage and are only a year apart in age, both have Allison 3000 and both seem in good condition. They are too far apart to test drive them both unfortunately... I called a company about putting air ride in on the 40 footer but they said it'd be about $10,000 yikes!!

I had bought a bus that I eneded up selling and I loved the air ride that it had. I admit I don't know how bad it would be without air ride
Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
There are a few differences
Bus 1:
Thomas built with the funny mirrors
already painted white
air ride
Cat C7 engine
38 feet

Bus 2:
Blue Bird
school bus yellow
Cummins ISC
40 feet

they both have about the same mileage and are only a year apart in age, both have Allison 3000 and both seem in good condition. They are too far apart to test drive them both unfortunately... I called a company about putting air ride in on the 40 footer but they said it'd be about $10,000 yikes!!

I had bought a bus that I eneded up selling and I loved the air ride that it had. I admit I don't know how bad it would be without air ride
That's a tough call. I'd not want a C7, but I'm addicted to air ride.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Bus Geek

That is a tough call.

Air ride, 38' & CAT vs. Springs, 40' & Cummins....

I own a 40' with spring suspension, Cummins 8.3 and Allison MD-3060 and I would NOT trade it for a CAT powered rig with air ride.

Honestly, I did not know if the bus I bought had air ride until I picked it up from the auction site. I was worried that I may not like the spring suspension. I was pleasantly surprised on the way home.

I have seen a few folks add airbags to their spring suspension and remove a portion if the leaves in the spring with good result and the cost was far less than $10k. Something to consider.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Cummins ISC over CAT all day long. I really like air ride but my bus doesn't have it. My bus does have an air drivers seat and rides out just fine. Some bumps but not a kidney killer.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Same here. With an air ride seat the drive is pretty comfortable. I don't have passengers to enjoy the air ride, and the air ride doesn't do me much good while I'm parked. Maybe it is farm truck ride, but I can feel the road. Fewer things to break down too.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Another vote for the ISC.

Another big contributing factor to the quality of the ride is the length of the wheelbase. If it's a rear engine, the wheelbase will be several feet longer than a front engine bus of the same length. If that 40 footer with the Cummins is a rear engine, the ride won't be too bad, even without an air suspension.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:07 AM   #10
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
If that 40 footer with the Cummins is a rear engine, the ride won't be too bad, even without an air suspension.
I test drove/rode 40-footer rear-engines exclusively, both with leaf spring and air ride suspensions. I concur that wheel base is a contributing factor, as I noticed no issues with suspension performance--neither in front nor back.

Moral of the story: Test drive. If you honestly plan on loading one of these things with all your worldly belongings, a bus is never too far away to test drive. If you have to, have a local mechanic test drive it as part of an inspection, which you should have done before purchasing regardless. Tell the mechanic how you plan on using the bus and request that extra attention be given to suspension performance. This will only set you back $200, give or take.

You can't make lemonade with a $2,000 lemon.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Engine aside, my vote is for 38 with air ride. Not the one you list just in general. A lot of camps won't take 40 foot but for some reason almost all welcome 38. I run a spring rig and I don't mind it, but I have been on air before and it's hard to beat, the ride is butter smooth. Those vibrations will effect the inside and the chassis over time. So I hope u find one that length with air, just with a better engine.
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
. A lot of camps won't take 40 foot but for some reason almost all welcome 38.

My experience has been a little different. I spent 6+ years full time in a 40' bus.

I traveled 43 States & 3 Canadian Provinces.

I rarely had trouble because of my length. Where I did, the limits were generally 30 or 35 feet. I ran into some folks with 45' rigs that had a little more trouble than I did.

Based upon my own experience, I would be surprised to find places that will allow a 38' and turn away a 40'.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's been very helpful so far. I did some reading up on the Cat C7 engine and I don't think I saw one good thing said about it. Also after 2009 Cat pulled out of the RV market so I think that says at least a little right there.

My wife took a ride with our oldest daughter on a school bus for her field trip yesterday and she said it was pretty bouncy on the bumps without air ride; albeit a was dognose bus.

I haven't decided yet but can anyone tell from experience or know anybody who's put those air bags in and pulled out some of the leaf springs, how much of a difference did it make? Any idea on costs or amount of work for a doityourselfer?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #14
Skoolie

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Quote:
I haven't decided yet but can anyone tell from experience or know anybody who's put those air bags in and pulled out some of the leaf springs, how much of a difference did it make? Any idea on costs or amount of work for a doityourselfer?
It depends, are you doing rear only? Front only? Or both? If you are doing conversion I would strongly suggest having it done by a professional, they will need aligned and mostly from what I have read can go as high as $2000 for a complete rear end conversion, but not all brands are the same or cost the same.

I've also looked into doing this down the road and I have heard keeping the front end spring is usually better, but who knows. Ive also heard special needs busses usually have air.

I have also heard hydro brakes are much easier than air when going air ride.

This is all hearsay and I have no experience with it, just info I see on other sites and discussion boards about it. If you have a schoolyard or bus company close by, ask to ride in an air ride bus and feel the difference first hand. From my reading, they do say springs are hard to break and hardly ever fail, while air ride does have some risk but are very reasonable to maintain. I will likely go air ride rear myself in the future.
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #15
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Air ride is the best, however I would consider a rear axle spring ride as weight in the back really helps smooth out the ride.

Definitely not a rear spring, front engine anything. In our area, rear spring, front engine buses kept cracking the rear axle housing, it never happened on an air ride axle. Just think of how your plates, cups, and personal gear will like that ride.

With air ride Axle, and front spring do consider changing your shocks. They are pretty cheap and make a world of difference. I drive a truck of Hand blown glass 600 miles each way and after 100K miles the air ride shocks are toast. After 200K the spring rides are gone. Weak shocks really affect the ride.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:

Sounds like you already know the answer. Get what you want.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Same here. With an air ride seat the drive is pretty comfortable. I don't have passengers to enjoy the air ride, and the air ride doesn't do me much good while I'm parked. Maybe it is farm truck ride, but I can feel the road. Fewer things to break down too.
Amazing what a set of shocks and proper tire pressures will do along with matching tires.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
The only time I thought "Maybe EastcoastCB was right about Air Ride" was in Louisiana. My buddy (with a converted uhaul box truck) blew out his front shocks there... My bus happilly bounced along down the highway. Not sure if air ride would have made the difference or not.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote