Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
7" head unit

So I know nothing about audio systems. I do know that I'll need a backup camera, and I do know that I'd like to run a sub woofer and speakers on the bus. My bus has NO existing sound system. It was a training bus. So where do I even start in finding the right unit and how would I hook it up?

Looking at something like THIS. Thoughts?

Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you're going to install a unit of that size, be sure and get GPS with it.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Bus Nut

GPS is included. But this is a 2DIN. Will I be able to connect this to the bus?
Old 05-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I have a similar unit. I simply don't know how to install them so had to have it done.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I have a similar unit. I simply don't know how to install them so had to have it done.
I'm confident I can install it but I guess the question I'm asking is ... if my bus never had a radio or speakers, do I even have a harness? If I do have a harness, is it likely DIN, 2DIN, or other? If I don't have a harness, is it near impossible to wire it myself? Where would I find such harness?

Lots of questions... I'd like to have a left blinker cam, right blinker cam, and backup cam on whatever unit I decide on. Safety first.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
these busses likely have a blank plate where the radio goes now.. that metal blank plate is your template for cutting to add a stereo..

the OEM radios on school busses were typically 1 DIN with some other accessories on the plate.. a Mic and a switch for outside or inside PA and for radio or Microphone. you dont need any of that.

I have a double DIN radio to put into my Bluebird but I havent acquired a blank panel yet.. (my bus has a junkie 1DIN radio.. so i need a new plate)..

eyeballing looks like heighthwise a Double will just-fit.. depth-wise is anyone guess as the radio just hangs into the wiring area.. so depends on how congested it is.. on my carpenter it would be a ROYAL PITA.. on my bluebird it looks to be smooth sailing with lots of room..

having GPS isa nice.. but mosrt bus radios are beside the driver and not in the Navistar dashboard.. and even if in the Navistar dash visibility would be less than optimal..

of course you can mod your dash panel however you want.. the radio doesnt Have to be in the spot the factory intended it...

there will be no harness for speakers etc, you will however have inside your dash, a couple rows of circuit breakers, these are typically 20 amps.. so use 12 gauge wire, or swap them to smaller if you need smaller.. you can follow the feed wire to the power bar... on my carpenter bus (older than yours different by a bit), I have 2 full rows that are switched by ACC or IGN.. at the top is a feeder bar.. at the bottom are screw terminals, you connect your ignition power wire there, there will likely be a smaller bar thats fed by battery all the time.. thats where your +5 BAT from your radio will go.. then ground is grounnd.. my caprneter and my bluebird both have bars to connect grounds..

speakers you'll have to run wires for.. antenna same way... a side mount antenna near your driver window is the easiest.. and those kits are sold for side mount antennas..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
these busses likely have a blank plate where the radio goes now.. that metal blank plate is your template for cutting to add a stereo..
-Christopher
I was hoping you'd chime in, Christopher. How have you been?? In my case on this particular bus though it was completely bare bones and I have no "blank plate" anywhere. That's why I'm scratching my head. There was nothing there to begin with and normally I can buy an adapter for whatever connector I have to the unit connector. I have nothing. I can't find anything down there except the data connector. There's no spot in my dashboard for a unit. I'm going to rebuild the whole area anyway but, in this case, any idea where I should start?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
Bus Geek

The OEM radio antenna installed for my radio/cassette deck worked fine for my stereo.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I was hoping you'd chime in, Christopher. How have you been?? In my case on this particular bus though it was completely bare bones and I have no "blank plate" anywhere. That's why I'm scratching my head. There was nothing there to begin with and normally I can buy an adapter for whatever connector I have to the unit connector. I have nothing. I can't find anything down there except the data connector. There's no spot in my dashboard for a unit. I'm going to rebuild the whole area anyway but, in this case, any idea where I should start?
I been good... rollin lots of bus wheels lately.. cruisin the interstates in a school bus somewhere..

as for where to start.. you have a clean slate.. wherever you can find or make a spot you can start... if you are going to cut into metal you have a much better chance of supporting a double DIN radio.. you may need to buy a panel mount cage for it..

something like.. (example.. there are others.. crutchfield is a greast place to look)..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-A...&wl13=&veh=sem

here is a bucket for underdash mounting... or overhead console possibly?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metra-95-...&wl13=&veh=sem

wiring..

asd mentioned in the last post.. you can open up your bus wiring panel.. and you'll likelt need to find.. a BAT+ (hot all the time), anb IGN+ (hopt when the key is on), a ground, and if you want to dim your screen then you;ll connect a wire from one of your panel lights to the DIMMER on the radio..

harness wise.. when you get the radio it should come with a connector.. and then a a plug with a bunch of lose wires.. (or you can buy the builders kit for that radio that gives you just open-ended wires for you to splice how you see fit..

always remember to stay on the breakered or fused side of any circuit you tap..

speakers... if you are running amps.. then you'll run the RCA's.. or digital links (if your amp and receiver talk the same language).. from the radio to your AMP location.. and then of course power to your amp.. and ground.. (IGN+) so the amp shuts off when you are away from the bus.. and doesnt kill your bats..

2 wires from each speaker to your amp location...

in my case im installing two new speakers.. 6x9's in wooden boxes that will hang above the driver area.. ill mount them in angled boxes on the top header panel.. angled down somewhat..

just behind my driver seat before my first seat (i still have all my seating in the red bus// itll stay that way).. I'll have my SUB.. I have a 10 and a 12.. im thuinking ill use the 10 and see... my amp will go in that area too.. out of view but stil reachable to adjust..

my buis already has 4 crappy speakers in the back.. so I'll go ahead and hook those up to the rear channels.. they are little 4 inchers.. I'll probably replace them with something standard like 5 1/4's.. a little better than what they are.. and then there is some OK sound in the back of the bus.. the sub will boom around wherever people are..

if you open up yuor dash.. not the navistar part but the bus switch control panels (A/C, heaters, fans, etc.. that panel).. you'll see what im talking about as far as the circuit breakers in rows.. wit ha bar across the top feeding power in.. and at the bottom each one has a screw terminal.. they are removeable and replaceable.. and self-resetting.. in my busses(both) they are all 20 amps.. I changed one of them to a 10 on the red bus for the new fan controller as it came with instructions not to fuse it larger than 10 amps...
-Christopher
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The OEM radio antenna installed for my radio/cassette deck worked fine for my stereo.

his bus is like my carpenter bus.. never had a radio at all....
my carpenter bus had a blank plate.. i ended up using it for my Air-Conditioner controls..

-Christopher