Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

77.5" interior height?

I keep looking for a bus with more head room. Is this one with 77.5" actually a bit more than what would be considered "normal"? It's only a 40 minute drive for me, but I dont know if there may be a better interior height option somewhere?

Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Six foot is average. six more inches is the maximum.. So that one is in the middle.

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
I did a lift and the interior bare metal floor to bare metal ceiling height is 91 inches now.
Originally it was 6 feet and I am 6'4 so I had to do a lift. Now, interior height of 7'7" is great. I wont need to alter cabinets, showers, walls as most have too with short walls and low ceiling.

Before going out of your way for the bus, consider if you will have to do a lift anyway. Extra head room now or extra customized head room later.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Mine's 77" and I don't realize it most of the time... But, I've still got original floor & ceiling in.
In the bedroom, I've added 1" polyiso & 3/4" of plywood temporarily, and I can tell a difference, but not much.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
I did a lift and the interior bare metal floor to bare metal ceiling height is 91 inches now.
Originally it was 6 feet and I am 6'4 so I had to do a lift. Now, interior height of 7'7" is great. I wont need to alter cabinets, showers, walls as most have too with short walls and low ceiling.

Before going out of your way for the bus, consider if you will have to do a lift anyway. Extra head room now or extra customized head room later.
I'd rather not do a ceiling lift. I'm 5'11", but wear a hat a lot. I dont like carpets, so painted wood floors work great for me. Just curious if the 7'5.5" was more than standard. Sounds like it may be, so that would help make it look more appealing to me as the standard ceiling height was just a bit too tight for me.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
my thomas was an activity bus with 78" headroom, gave me enough room to insulate. that has 545 tranny, keep looking
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
I'd rather not do a ceiling lift. I'm 5'11", but wear a hat a lot. I dont like carpets, so painted wood floors work great for me. Just curious if the 7'5.5" was more than standard. Sounds like it may be, so that would help make it look more appealing to me as the standard ceiling height was just a bit too tight for me.
Ours is 6'5".
7' plus is definitely more than the norm.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
my thomas was an activity bus with 78" headroom, gave me enough room to insulate. that has 545 tranny, keep looking
What's wrong with the 545?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Ours is 6'5".
7' plus is definitely more than the norm.
I apologize. 77.5" is 6' 5.5". I always get that mixed up for some reason. So your bus is 6'5"? And it's what is considered "normal"?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Have you driven one? They dont have a lockup torque converter for one, so the fuel economy is abysmal, it seems like you have to put your foot on the floor just to get the bus to roll out of a parking space, and you lose alot of top end "passing power" - the transmission doesnt like torque, which is what our diesels are good at.. so it's 'programmed' to downshift before your engine can even really start to make good torque.
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I am 6' and i have maybe another 5 inches above my head to the ceiling.

Also i spend most of my time in the bus sitting, kneeling, or laying down. I have a few blankets separating areas, so i am often ducking anyway and spend a rare amount of time walking or standing at all. Now i might sing a different tune if the ceiling were lower and i had to duck, but i just don't think much time spent in a bus is standing or walking. However, i totally support anyones efforts to find a tall celing and to raise the ceiling.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
Have you driven one? They dont have a lockup torque converter for one, so the fuel economy is abysmal, it seems like you have to put your foot on the floor just to get the bus to roll out of a parking space, and you lose alot of top end "passing power" - the transmission doesnt like torque, which is what our diesels are good at.. so it's 'programmed' to downshift before your engine can even really start to make good torque.
No, I dont think I have driven one. I've driven the 6x6 military trucks which have I think a 6xx allison, but I dont think I have driven a 5 hundred series.
I'm not in a hurry, so I can keep looking. Other bus local has an 8.2l engine, so unless I can get the bus for free, I think I'll pass on that one too.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
I am 6' and i have maybe another 5 inches above my head to the ceiling.

Also i spend most of my time in the bus sitting, kneeling, or laying down. I have a few blankets separating areas, so i am often ducking anyway and spend a rare amount of time walking or standing at all. Now i might sing a different tune if the ceiling were lower and i had to duck, but i just don't think much time spent in a bus is standing or walking. However, i totally support anyones efforts to find a tall celing and to raise the ceiling.

I'd likely be doing the same. Dont care much for being inside all the time. Even though I may leave my hat on most of the time, I do take my shoes off, which might help another inch to inch an'ahalf.