Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Skoolie

8.3 Cummins

Well Julie and I just got back from being on the road in the bus. We pulled the car along and I was pleased and surprised that pulling the car (3700lbs) and having a loaded bus (since we live in her) that we were able to cruise 55 on average. That dt360 surprised me. Obviously it was mostly flat ground but even in the hilly areas if we had a downhill run ahead of a climb we did ok.

Anyway my question for the educated masses is this. What is the general consensus on the 8.3 Cummins? I have found a pretty good deal on a 40' Bluebird with all the underbody storage and the big slider windows like the Lapeer's last Jacuzzi bus. All those attributes appeal to me, but what I really like is the 8.3 Cummins, mt643 trans, and a 4:10 rear end. Could this be Lurlene II?

I know this doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but we were down in Panama for a while and the buses down there had INCREDIBLE paint jobs done on them, and the NASCAR drivers her have nothing on those guys. I'll load some pics soon.

reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: 8.3 Cummins

Extremely well done you guys! This one of the best looking conversions I've seen! Major congrats! Recycler
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Bus Nut

reprobate, that's exactly the specs I was looking for when I "settled" on my thomas. From what I've read, that is a well liked combination, but not that easy to find.

I'd say go for it! What'll you do with lurlene though?

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International Cornbinder
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

The 8.3 cummins is a well loved motor, much like every other cummins made. IMO other than the dt466 that I have in my international I wouldnt want anything else.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Bus Nut

buy that bus now!

if everything checks out ok and the finances are right, that is the ideal engine and the only thing that woud be an improvement would be a 7 or 9 speed manual trans. IMHO.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Bus Nut

yes what is going to happen with Lurlene I ??? that unit should be able to sell for a pretty penny.
And knowing your track record you probably have Lurlene II up and running before summer is over.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Skoolie

Thanks all for the responses! Yeah that means that Lurlene would go on the sale block, which unfortunately right now is not the right time to sell for top dollar. Even if we did do something like this we would have to keep Lurlene until we converted the other bus since she is our home. This time however the conversion might have to wait awhile, it's just if I can get the right price I would go ahead and get the bus and just park it until I was ready. I do appreciate the nice comments and support. After I post this reply I am headed to talk to this guy (and I'm taking my checkbook just in case). Wish me luck!

Oh...and if all this does work I will want to do another rear slide (love the room it gives) and will attempt a side slide as well and of course another roof raise. It's great not knowing what your doing, it keeps the fear and doubt at bay.

Vanguy67..It believe it is the same bus but with 2 rear storage bays on either side and 2 storage bays on the passenger side.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Skoolie

Yeah Jimmy we are back in Abilene. Julie did a 2 month stint in Panama and I went down for about a month. Nice place. Saw lots of cool stuff and rode a lot of buses. Just finished working on some curving stairs, lots of curved woodwork and steam bending, my kind of job, not run of the mill. Not sure what's in store for the future. I will be in Austin the weekend of the 16th? and will have Lurlene with me maybe the following weekend. If so, I'll drop a note and maybe I could come by.