Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: 91 International Wayne

In your research on the 7.3 engine, did you look up commentary on how will it does on WVO? The 7.3 has a rotary injection pump. My feeling is that the Bosch style inline pumps are better for WVO. I recently met a guy who destroyed the IP on his 7.3 by running unheated WVO. He claimed that he was able to do this successfully with the Bosch pump. Now, in my opinion you should not be running unheated WVO, period. But it's interesting that the rotary pump died and not the inline pump.

Another thing to consider: I have a Ford F250 with the 7.3 engine, and have not done a WVO conversion on it yet, but I have noticed one thing of interest. I run 100% biodiesel in warm weather, and the 7.3 is fine with that. But when the weather gets below 50 degrees it takes a bit more cranking to get it started on the B100. If I blend with regular diesel, it's fine.

Bottom line: I question whether the 7.3 is truly happy burning WVO/Biodiesel. I've heard that it should be good due to the Indirect Injection. But the IP itself may want a higher cetane value, or thinner fuel, or something like that.

My comments are far from scientifically verified and are based purely on anecdotal evidence; so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe the 7.3 is just fine for WVO. But I wanted to give you something to think about, and encourage you to do further research on the WVO/Biodiesel forums where there are more knowledgeable people.

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Bypass the fuel pump? Do you mean the lift pump or injection pump? You will certainly not bypass the IP. You could bypass the lift pump and use an electric one, but I don't think the lift pump is the problem. As far as what is the best engine for WVO, I suggest you get on the WVO forums and ask there. My understanding is that there are two important variables: Injection pump and injection type. So indirect injection is supposed to be best, and the Bosch inline pumps are the best. I don't know which engine combines both of those features. The 7.3 is IDI, but rotary. The International DT360 & DT466, and Cummins 5.9 all have the Bosch inline pump, but are direct injection. I have the DT466 and plan to do a WVO conversion on it. I think the injection pump itself is probably more important than the injection type (IDI vs DI). Most, if not all modern diesel engines are now DI, and people convert them all the time. The mid-1980s model Mercedes has the best engine to convert with both IDI and the Bosch pump, and mine has been happily running WVO for 3 years now... but that doesn't help you with your bus decision.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

come on cotton,come up to ellijay and buy my bus and than all you have to do to it is the WVO and than you all ready to go...make you a good deal.....

and no snow,,,,,also there is a 93 bluebird w/8.3 545 allison trans for sale up here too
keith is offline   Reply With Quote