Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
A/C Ducting solutions

Hello all,

I am still in my demo/planning stages, and plan to do a roof raise. Part of my consideration on how high I go is whether or not I need to add extra room for A/C ducting. I plan to do spray foam insulation along the roof, so I can run the ducts between that and the ceiling I will build.

I plan to take this vehicle all over the US, and I hate hot weather. Dry heat > humid heat, but 60 degrees >>>>>>>> anything 80 and above. I like it cool, especially at night, so A/C will be important for me. It's going to be a shore power only build, so no need to worry about power consumption, but I would like to minimize price of A/C units.

My plan currently is to buy a mini split, mount it high in the back, and run a duct (unsure of the size, since it'll greatly impact headspace and vehicle height) along one side of the roof, between the insulation and the ceiling. Run vents from that to the ceiling, and on the other side have vents (floor or ceiling, haven't decided). I also haven't decided if those will simply allow air to flow between the walls/ceiling and insulation, or if I will duct that as well.

Heating will be done via coolant heater and heated floors, because heated floors are the greatest thing for your feet since sliced bread. However, on very cold northern nights, I can run the mini split in reverse for extra heating.

With that in mind, tell me about your ducted A/C solutions! Pictures are greatly appreciated as always!

Old 04-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Skoolie

I found someone here thought of using a drain spout pipe for ducting, it seems like it might work. I haven't found anyone who actually used one, though...
Old 04-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I'm planning on having aluminum sheeting bent to form new ducting for my factory evaporator located at the back of the bus. It is still in the early planning stage but there will be three bends. One forming the corner between the bottom and side of the duct and two flanges on the side and bottom for mounting/stiffening. The top and other side of the duct will be the insulation on the roof and wall of the bus. The mounting flanges will be attached with rivets to the bus ribs and ceiling and wall sheet which will also be aluminum. I'll install vents where I want cold air while driving.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhof009 View Post
I found someone here thought of using a drain spout pipe for ducting, it seems like it might work. I haven't found anyone who actually used one, though...
Drain spout piping seems like a cost effective idea that will be durable. Tape all the joints to seal them and wrap the piping in insulation. You could also use plastic pipe (like PVC or other types).
I've seen some types of home ac that use flexible tubing and higher pressure to push more air through. I think the primary application is for retrofitting ac into existing buildings where they don't have access to run traditional duct work.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I'm a little confused here. The split systems only require a thin copper tube between the outside part and the inside part, plus some small tubing for drainage of condensation. Why are you going to install ducting. you can also get systems with multiple inside parts. https://www.google.com/search?q=mini...=1555117727286
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I'm a little confused here. The split systems only require a thin copper tube between the outside part and the inside part, plus some small tubing for drainage of condensation. Why are you going to install ductinghttps://www.google.com/search?q=mini+split+ac+system&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi81oSJ8cvhA hWR0J8KHSYpCkEQ_AUIBygC&biw=414&bih=656#mhpiv=15&s pf=1555117727286
I think they are talking about ducting air to places not directly in front of the AC unit.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think they are talking about ducting air to places not directly in front of the AC unit.
Some split systems have ceiling units...install multiple units and a small room can.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Some split systems have ceiling units...install multiple units and a small room can.
Think of it as a home central air conditioning system verses a bunch of window units.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Think of it as a home central air conditioning system verses a bunch of window units.
This is the correct answer. Instead of having multiple AC units running occasionally, I can have one central one running more, and with some ducting and vents run it to the rest of the bus.

Tags
air conditioning, cooling, ducting, hvac