Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #1

A/c Help!

I have a 2009 Ford E450 with a 6.0 diesel with a Transair A/c system for the rear. My compressor locked up this summer and the transair system has significant wear due to age. I am thinking of going back to the original factory A/c system with all new components and just use the front A/C. This is a smaller shuttle bus that I have used as a small rv. I was told if I don’t put a divider wall between the drivers compartment and the rear I will burn up the compressor because it can’t cool that large of an area. Is this true? I understand it will not cool the entire bus but what would cause compressor to burn up? Would it run continuously or will it not cycle like normal and just not get the cabin very cool? Thanks for the help the rear unit was “plumbed” into the single compressor in the front of the bus. The bus is 15 ft long, not sure if that helps. Thanks

Rbcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
In my humble opinion-- what you are wanting to do will NOT hurt your compressor.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it would run continuously but compressors are rated for continuous duty.. personally id fix the Transair.. if you go back to just the dash air and its not a completely separate system.. ie is a tie-in with the trans / air then you;ll have to buiy a bunch of parts anyway... may as well fix the trans/air.. not sure what you mean by "worn".. are the hoses rubbed through? coils corroded and leaking? or is it just relays, circuit breakers and bad fan motors.. and in need of a good cleaning?

usually burnt up compressors are a result iof malfunctioning condensers.. either overcharged freon, bad fans, clogged coils..

ive had my red bus and my dev bus on LONG trips in summer where I know the compressors ran from noon till dark never cycling out... all those compressors are still in there years later.... as long as the system works properly, is charged with refrigerant OIL properly the compressor can run for long periods no worries...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:56 PM   #4

The hoses are dry rotted, condenser is corroded, and dry receiver for the transair system has rusted through
Old 06-30-2022, 04:57 PM   #5

Metal lines for the condenser are also rusted through
Old 06-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is it a separate system from your dashboard air? if it is a tie-in, you;ll need to find lines and condenser to install a radiator mounted condenser from a van onto your radiator.. and then of course replace the compressor and flush everything.. the dash air by itself in an E450 is pretty decent but likely wont begin to cool the bus part.. putting up even a clear shower curtain will definitely help the front cab stay nice and cool (which it will)..

typically the transair tie in systems used the underbody condenser for both the dash unit and the rear unit.. the hoses usually screw together so you can simply unscrew the Y connectors and connect up your suction line to your dash evaporator.. condenser and lines for a rewgular van E450 would connect to a new compressor (esp if you replace it with a ford factory style compressor for that van. )..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote