Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #1

A few questions about a '92 Bluebird B-series conversion

Hey everyone, just here to ask a few questions. I've browsed these forums quite a bit over the last few months, but my school bus conversion project is getting pretty serious so I figured I would ask some more experienced folks a few questions.

As a little background information, I have a 1992 Bluebird B-series 72-person school bus. It has the Diesel engine, I believe the 8.2L Detroit Diesel. I've heard that it's kind of a crappy engine, but I've yet to experience any problems. As of right now, it has been sitting on a friend's property for nearly a year while I work on it. I start it up every week or two and run it for a while to make sure it's still good to go. It has a temporary panel with electric run to it, wired up for 110AC with the potential for 220AC. Otherwise, all I've done to it is tear stuff out.

My first question comes from the radiators. I took the back one out, as per usual, and I have also removed the one next to the door(the small one) and put a U on both of them. I also want to remove the one next to the driver's seat, as I don't really want any of them and am willing to just deal with the cold if I ever have to drive it anywhere during winter.

So, the question(s): Is it OK to take all of these out? Can I just yank all three and be OK? I have seen a few people suppose that in certain buses, especially older ones like mine, these extra radiators were actually necessary to keep the bus from overheating while driving. Also, if I yank them out, how do I fix the cooling system on the engine so I don't have hoses full of antifreeze running into the cabin still?

Sorry for these questions. I know they've been asked a thousand times, but I haven't seen a solid answer to the above questions.

Also, secondary question that will probably be controversial: Do I need to remove the ceiling panels and re-insulate? I know there is fiberglass insulation up there, but I don't know how good it is. I also plan to add a roof rack, which should help with cooling(my main concern in Arkansas).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.

TomEllinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Just opinion here but I've gutted my bus and to me, its TOTALLLY worth taking out the factory interior skins and insulation. It will be amazing compared to living in a tin can that smells funny.
Folks will try to say its structural, if it is its only to a very minor degree. Mines been driven around and down some bad roads totally gutted for a couple years now. NO ill effects noted.

The heaters can be removed, but how will you defrost the windshield??
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

I....literally hadn't thought of that. Huh. Wonder if I can get away with just the one on the right hand side? The little one by the door?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Whichever one defrosts the windshield, just try em out and figure out which ones to take out.
Extra heating for the inside and extra cooling for the engine is a win/win if you ask me.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

I don't disagree, I just really want to mount a computer inside that radiator housing next to the driver's seat...
Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEllinson View Post
I don't disagree, I just really want to mount a computer inside that radiator housing next to the driver's seat...
How big is the computer?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How big is the computer?
Well, I was kinda planning on building one to fit the space. Not sure if a standard ATX board will fit in it due to the height...it does seem to be a fairly large space, though. Another option is to put it either under the "glove compartment" space, or somewhere in the back of the bus in a custom-made cabinet. It just seemed like a good space for it.