Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

A few questions regarding prepping the metal floor?!

My plan is to initially clean the metal floor of the bus. Which cleaning agent do you recommend I use?

Then I plan to fill the holes from the bus seats, etc using JB weld epoxy liquid or JB weld steel stick putty. Which of these do you think would work best? Or do you have any better suggestions? I'm going to cover all of the holes with pennies once I fill them.

Next, I plan to use a rust converter like Corroseal or Rust Converter Ultra followed by two layer of Rustoleum paint to complete the job. Is it necessary for me to use a Rustoleum primer prior to the paint or will the rust converter act as a primer as well?

Thank you for your help on my skoolie build journey!!

AKTrainum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
The 2 part JB Putty will seal holes best.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTrainum View Post
My plan is to initially clean the metal floor of the bus. Which cleaning agent do you recommend I use?

Then I plan to fill the holes from the bus seats, etc using JB weld epoxy liquid or JB weld steel stick putty. Which of these do you think would work best? Or do you have any better suggestions? I'm going to cover all of the holes with pennies once I fill them.

Next, I plan to use a rust converter like Corroseal or Rust Converter Ultra followed by two layer of Rustoleum paint to complete the job. Is it necessary for me to use a Rustoleum primer prior to the paint or will the rust converter act as a primer as well?

Thank you for your help on my skoolie build journey!!

- I'd go with one coat over the primer before I'd go with 2 coats of finish with no primer - I plan on one coat of primer, 2 coats of finish - after the first coat of primer, you may be surprised of how far a gal of finish coat goes
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
How many new threads on this subject are you going to start?
An easy search will reveal this question addressed a gazillion times.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I didn't realize that this thread posted twice (once initially and once after I edited the title). I've also never posted a question regarding whether or not rustoleum primer is needed and I feel like the threads I've read that address the subject are super unclear. I apologize if this inconvenienced you.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all!
Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
The 2 part JB Putty will seal holes best.
This is the only putty kit I can find (1.) but there is a 2 part liquid kit (2.)??

1. https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8267...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
It's important to be efficient in posting, or the site might run out of pixels.
Artor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTrainum View Post
This is the only putty kit I can find (1.) but there is a 2 part liquid kit (2.)??

1. https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8267...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
#1 is the one! It is a 2 part log that you tear or slice a sufficient piece off and "knead" the 2 parts (Gray & black), to a uniform color and stuff into the hole.
It should be the consistency of used chewing gum when ready to use and will harden to solid that can be ground or sanded down and primed/painted over if desired.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
#1 is the one! It is a 2 part log that you tear or slice a sufficient piece off and "knead" the 2 parts (Gray & black), to a uniform color and stuff into the hole.
It should be the consistency of used chewing gum when ready to use and will harden to solid that can be ground or sanded down and primed/painted over if desired.
I used SteelStick to fill the holes in the tracks of my windows from removing the riveted stops (they're a thing unique to NY buses since the windows aren't allowed to be lowered more than 4"). These were 1/4" holes in, say, 12 ga aluminum sheet. My test attempt placed just enough of the stuff to fill the hole flush, but after it hardened this popped out of the hole when I pressed on it. The only thing that worked was to really clean around the hole and scuff it with sandpaper, and then place a bigger gob in the hole and smooth the edges down on both sides, making essentially a SteelStick rivet.

I think the stuff would work on a floor, but maybe you'd have to prepare the hole first pretty thoroughly? The normal state of these holes is usually rusty and pitted, even on the clean buses.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Didn't you start a new thread a couple of weeks ago asking about "the pros and cons of a 12" roof raise"? Pretty sure I've seen about a gazillion threads on that subject.

Or is this more a case of 'do as I say. not as I do'?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I used a combination of mechanical (angle grinder w/ wire wheels, orbital sander) & chemical means for floor prep. For both etching non-rusted galvanized as well as converting rusted sections, phosphoric acid works great. Google 'ospho'. Many threads in this forum regarding it as well. We used another name brand found at Lowes Hardware in the paint supply section, but it's the same thing... a 40-50% phosphoric acid solution. Best to clean/degrease the floor first, dry, then apply and keep it wet for 15 mins to a couple hours or more depending on the extent of rust. If you're planning on painting soon best to then rinse it off w/ water before the ospho can dry. Alternatively can use it as a rust preventative for extended periods before painting, but if you do, make sure to re-wet the surface again w/ ospho, let soak for a bit, & then rinse thoroughly, once again making sure the ospho doesn't dry before you do. You don't want residual acid left as it can negatively impact paint adhesion.

I just added info on our recent floor prep & paint our build thread (last page). If interested hit it up (in my signature). It expands a little bit on what I've written here.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #13

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Mini Bus
Hey guys, I'm new to posting to the forums (although I've used this site as a resource plenty already) and rather than starting a new thread I figured I'd add to this one.

My question is rather simple. Aside from the rust, how clean does my floor truly need to be? My bus floor seems to be made up of three different overlapping sheets of metal and at each of the creases where they join it has a putty like sealant (yellow in color).

I'm thinking it's necessary to remove this to be able to effectively prime it, and then to replace it with a similar sealant/caulk.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I can add images if necessary, but I'm posting this via mobile at the moment.
CivilBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilBC View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to posting to the forums (although I've used this site as a resource plenty already) and rather than starting a new thread I figured I'd add to this one.

My question is rather simple. Aside from the rust, how clean does my floor truly need to be? My bus floor seems to be made up of three different overlapping sheets of metal and at each of the creases where they join it has a putty like sealant (yellow in color).

I'm thinking it's necessary to remove this to be able to effectively prime it, and then to replace it with a similar sealant/caulk.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I can add images if necessary, but I'm posting this via mobile at the moment.
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with location and bus info. Makes it easier to address your questions.
If it's like most buses, the floor is made up of prebent panels that butt up against each other, not overlapped. Leave the sealer there when you rust convert, prime and paint. You can remove it and replace if you want.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #15

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Mini Bus
Quote:
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with location and bus info. Makes it easier to address your questions.
If it's like most buses, the floor is made up of prebent panels that butt up against each other, not overlapped. Leave the sealer there when you rust convert, prime and paint. You can remove it and replace if you want.
Made the updates. And you're right, pre-bent and abutt each other. I had begun removing some of it but decided to hold off. Questioning whether it's worth the time/effort to remove and reseal all those creases.
CivilBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilBC View Post
Made the updates. And you're right, pre-bent and abutt each other. I had begun removing some of it but decided to hold off. Questioning whether it's worth the time/effort to remove and reseal all those creases.
You're right down the road from me neighbor.