Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Myself
Chassis: Gmc/bluebird
Engine: Cat 3126 190hp Allison 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Fortunately, I'm not plagued with fire ants at present, just those tiny, annoying pissants.Have you got a formula of proportions for the mixture?
I've made a sugar/boric acid solution, but that takes a long time, and there are countless colonies in this pasturage I'm encamped in.
I'd much prefer keeping the industrious little boogers on their side of the bus, as opposed to running my own personal Ant-Auschwitz...
The deet Vaseline mix is all of the deet with all the Vaseline in a ziplock bag. Then mix then Betty Crocker through the corner of the ziplock around everything. It doesn’t kill the ants. It’s just a shield. They will not cross that line.

Johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymac View Post
The deet Vaseline mix is all of the deet with all the Vaseline in a ziplock bag. Then mix then Betty Crocker through the corner of the ziplock around everything. It doesn’t kill the ants. It’s just a shield. They will not cross that line.
Thanx.
Unlike fire ants; a terrifically nasty and invasive species (aside from an ugly calf, ankle, and/or barefooted surprise for us, are known to kill young calves), I'd much rather do the DEET deet-erent than deal death unnecessary to any organism intrinsic to a biome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
LOL at the Ant-schwitz...
...And boy did they make a bee-line for it...
Yanno, on first writing, I went with, "Antschwitz," but my alliteration affection aroused me to take advantage of the antipodal hyphenated articulation.
Currently, that's a completely contrasting communistically collective, colonizing critter category I will continuously circumnavigate to circumvent crushing or killing...
Old 07-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #43
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Currently, that's a completely contrasting communistically collective, colonizing critter category I will continuously circumnavigate to circumvent crushing or killing...
NOW we see the violence inherent to the system! Come and see the violence inherent to the system! HELP, HELP! I'm being REPRESSED! Let me guess, you were a stellar 'C' student.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

" 'E must be a king. 'E 'asn't got sh1t all over 'im."
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
NOW we see the violence inherent to the system! Come and see the violence inherent to the system! HELP, HELP! I'm being REPRESSED! Let me guess, you were a stellar 'C' student. [emoji3]
In fact, I was a cosmic "C" student...
If this dang place wasn't so freakin' family friendly, I'd riff all over "F"-ing place!
Not to mention what I could do about buggering "D", "A", & "B"
Old 07-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #45
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
" 'E must be a king. 'E 'asn't got sh1t all over 'im."In fact, I was a cosmic "C" student...
If this dang place wasn't so freakin' family friendly, I'd riff all over "F"-ing place!
Not to mention what I could do about buggering "D", "A", & "B"
As M's initial storage place said, we must not fit their image... Dealt with that before, hence my avatar.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

"Wyatt, you are an oak."
Old 07-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #47
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
IMHO I would definately stay clear from older RV's (especially mid 80's) no matter how good of shape they may appear to be. The manufacturer I worked for had serious quality issues and cut corners all the time. I had coworkers back then who worked for other manfacturers and they had similar experiences. I started working for them in 1983 in their body shop as a sealer/undercoater before they moved me to fiberglass/ABS to make parts for their expensive Class B (then 100k+) and the other Class units.

Basically, I started by masking off the lower skirts, plumbing fittings etc. then seal any holes in the undercarriage with sealant before undercoating. This was done for both Class C and A. The Class C's were on the lift but A's had to be done on your back (PITA). There would be several holes in the floor from workers having drilled in the wrong location for plumbing etc. These holes ranged in size and would be filled with sealant instead of properly patching them. You could not see them after undercoating was applied. I was able to do 10 Class C units a day (which they thought was real fast) or 1 to 2 Class A's. You can imagine what will happen when the sealant and undercoating dries and shrinks and eventually falls off to allow insects/mice to enter.

Another blunder I recall is the roof caps on the Class C's. These were usually damaged with huge dents from the assembly line and would be filled with several inches of plastic filler (aka Bondo) before being painted. I recall several warranty returns where the filler literally fell off in chunks.

I would imagine things have improved in the industry after several decades but in my mind they are nothing but sticks-n-staples (except maybe the high end rigs). Just about every accident I have seen resulted in serious injury or death. Therefore, I am building my own RV using the best built Schoolie "Crown"
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
I just cut up 2 Pace Arrow units one was a 84 and the other a 93.
After that I will never ride in another RV again, it should be illegal for those to be on the road, they aren't built well at all.

Once they start with a water leak then you already face alot of work to fix it because it will rot before you know what happened.
My 84 unit had 1" square tube steel every 7-8' holding up the roof and sorry excuse for walls, horrible to say the best for it. Now the 93 model pace wasn't as bad, but still, not road worthy. I couldn't imagine turning that junk over, I've got 4 kids so I won't ever put them in that junk again after seeing what they are really made of.
If it's on a GM frame then the front end is weak with that horrible double wishbone axle, what a joke.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #49
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Talking

https://www.serenitybusproject.com/s...tional-vehicle

For what its worth... my wife and I wrote an article about skoolie vs. rv. Maybe we are a bit biased.. lol

Tags
pests, roof