Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Bus Nut

A fishy question....

Does anyone have an aquarium in their conversion? I am talking 55 gallon, not a little gold fish bowl.

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
It would have to be completely sealed. Probably on some kind of shock absorption platform. Design it. Your probably the first.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Skoolie

Anything is possible thats for sure
Old 09-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks...yes, and it would probably have to be completely air free, i.e. no air pockets with a stout cover that latched securely.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Skoolie

Salt or fresh water?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Does anyone have an aquarium in their conversion? I am talking 55 gallon, not a little gold fish bowl.
Nothing like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. Feels so good when it quits hurting.

Sure you can but why? I can imagine as you travel down the highway you eventually come to that one bump and frame twist and then suddenly you hear the explosion!

What kind of shampoo do you recommend for chickens?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sure you can but why? I can imagine as you travel down the highway you eventually come to that one bump and frame twist and then suddenly you hear the explosion!
My first thought would be to build a frame out of angle iron for the tank to sit in and then suspend the frame from a couple inches of strong chain or heavy duty tension springs. (attached to whatever is strong enough to support the weight - maybe a support frame of angle iron or unistrut type stuff) Some tension springs from the corners of the tank to the vertical supports at each end could keep the tank from swaying as the bus moves.

The idea behind the setup would be to support and protect the tank while also keeping it somewhat isolated from torsional stresses. Obviously the nuts and bolts of the setup could be hidden behind some woodwork or cabinetry for the sake of aesthetics.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Mobile aquariums have been done many times. I'm sure there is a Forum like this one for crazy fish people.

Looky here

Name:  trlr2.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  6.7 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	trlr.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	16185
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Skoolie

Hell yeah man. Thats awesome. Not only can it be done but can be done on any scale it looks like wow
Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #10

I've been playing with the idea myself since I'm in love with my aquaponics system. Essentially you're just moving a pretty looking water tank inside of the bus. My idea was to keep an eye out for large weather/air sealed plastic tubs and then drill holes in the lid for air/water pump tubing, just add rubber gaskets so that when in motion you can fully seal the tank from leaking, then remove the lid when parked. You'll lose some transparency as compared to glass, but not much. Perhaps it's just paranoia, but I'd be nervous for the road stress cracking a regular glass aquarium. I imagine the mobile aquariums shown above are made of very thick acrylic. You might custom order one if cost isn't a concern, otherwise I believe the container store sells 30 gallon weather proof tubs for between $40-60. I'm holding out for a 40 gallon myself, but haven't found one yet. I'll post it to the thread if I do. It'll be a little hillbilly but to be honest, so is living in a bus ;)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
smit6738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by smit6738 View Post
I'd be nervous for the road stress cracking a regular glass aquarium. I imagine the mobile aquariums shown above are made of very thick acrylic.
I wouldn't worry if the glass was thick enough. I have a car and it has a bunch of glass on the sides above the doors and in front above the hood, it seems to be holding-up quite well.

Name:	wind.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	16280

If they can build walkways with glass, fishy would be fine. Bulletproof glass comes up on Craigslist , is laminated and has funky green tint so no need to sweat tank cleaning.

Name:	glass.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	16281
Old 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smit6738 View Post
I've been playing with the idea myself since I'm in love with my aquaponics system. Essentially you're just moving a pretty looking water tank inside of the bus. My idea was to keep an eye out for large weather/air sealed plastic tubs and then drill holes in the lid for air/water pump tubing, just add rubber gaskets so that when in motion you can fully seal the tank from leaking, then remove the lid when parked. You'll lose some transparency as compared to glass, but not much. Perhaps it's just paranoia, but I'd be nervous for the road stress cracking a regular glass aquarium. I imagine the mobile aquariums shown above are made of very thick acrylic. You might custom order one if cost isn't a concern, otherwise I believe the container store sells 30 gallon weather proof tubs for between $40-60. I'm holding out for a 40 gallon myself, but haven't found one yet. I'll post it to the thread if I do. It'll be a little hillbilly but to be honest, so is living in a bus ;)

We love hydroponics...we have already wondered about a area in the bus for a few vegetable plants with a small grow light...that is until we find the land we want in Missouri to park the bus on and leave it...lol
eric2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
seems to me like one of the biggest obstacles would be that youd have to keep said aquarium super clean.. perhaps too clean for good life..

when you drive, the water would be sloashing and constantly pickup up any sediment and such from the bottom of the tank and making the water cloudy.. unless you cleaned it all the time..

my one friend says you dont want to over-clean an aquarium.. at least not salt water..

also wondering how you keep the temerature constant with the interior of the bus constantly changing temperature whether parked or driving..

I do think its a really neat idea as there is something super peceful about sitting at night watching an aquarium to relax !
-Christopher
im only going on what happens wh
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Thanks for your creativity and concerns. I posted this question on a physics forum there are two issues. The first is weight, the second is motion. If the 55 gallon tank is completely full of water, there will be no motion in the tank. It can be treated like a 500 pound block of wood or concrete, and, yes, will go flying through the air if not properly secured. If the tank is not completely full, the sloshing water inside can cause the glass to break, the seams to split or the tank itself to come loose from the mountings. Baffles put in the tank will reduce the sloshing and damage, just as the baffles put into the gas tank will do.

Fwiw
Old 10-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
seems to me like one of the biggest obstacles would be that youd have to keep said aquarium super clean.. perhaps too clean for good life..

when you drive, the water would be sloashing and constantly pickup up any sediment and such from the bottom of the tank and making the water cloudy.. unless you cleaned it all the time..

my one friend says you dont want to over-clean an aquarium.. at least not salt water..

also wondering how you keep the temerature constant with the interior of the bus constantly changing temperature whether parked or driving..

I do think its a really neat idea as there is something super peceful about sitting at night watching an aquarium to relax !
-Christopher
im only going on what happens wh
That's an excellent point. Agitation would definitely cloud up your water depending on your substrate. If you used gravel instead of sand that should help.

smit6738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #16

Here are your issues.
+Flex in the tank base causing the silicone to fail.
+Slosh, causing water everywhere.
+Vibration, failed seals again.
+Weight.

Here is what I would do. Build a rigid flat base out of thick wood. 4 inch tall retaining edges couple of inches wider than the aquarium. This reduces flex.

Then a 1/2" layer of silcone gel/rubber from mcmaster.
Then put a thick wood board with retaining edges. The board floats on the silicone and keep a lot of vibration/ high frequencies out.
Thin,1/8" sheet of rubber and then goes in the Aquarium. The Aquarium needs to fit snugly in this package.

Aquarium needs to be covered on top so water cannot spill.
You will need tie downs, kinda like battery hold down clamps. They will help stabilize the tank IF you get in a wreck or a large bump. You cannot make them too tight!
Might want to add some floating foam pieces or barriers in the aquarium to keep water from sloshing too much.
roadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Put some SERIOUS consideration into how you will secure that 440lb beast.

I have seen other wise benign objects turn deadly in the event of an accident.

Anyone see the Prevost for sale on govdeals a while back that had the couch sticking half way out of the passenger side windshield?

Where did the passenger seat wind up????
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #18
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Put some SERIOUS consideration into how you will secure that 440lb beast.
Good point. They sell fake aquariums that may be more suitable for travel.

Lightahead Artificial Mini Aquarium Fish Tank Multi Color LED Swimming Fish Tank with Bubbles
3.8 out of 5 stars

Sale: $21.99

Name:	aquar.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	16306
Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
I strongly advise against it. Those fish will be the most stressed out creatures in your state. That constant vibration from the road and turning will ultimately lower their immune system resulting in stinky floaters. Dead fish in a hot summer bus would not be pretty-lol.
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:22 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy Yeti View Post
I strongly advise against it. Those fish will be the most stressed out creatures in your state. That constant vibration from the road and turning will ultimately lower their immune system resulting in stinky floaters. Dead fish in a hot summer bus would not be pretty-lol.
I agree.
But I'll confess- I hate keeping fishes or birds in cages.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote