Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #1

A new user with a different need for conversion

Hi. My name is Matt. I just bought a school bus today. I own my own record label and have several touring bands, and needed a "tour" bus of sorts for this summer. The reason why I got a skoolie is because I got an unbelieveable deal from a guy on a msg board that I frequent.

Instantly I got home and started trolling the internet for ideas and such about skoolie conversions. I've found this website, and hopefully I'll be talking to everyone here a lot more in the coming months.

Basically, I don't need a mobile home, or a rec vehicle, but a sweet bus for a bunch of dudes to load up their equipment into to rock up and down the east coast over summer, while still being comfortable and mildly entertained along the way.

The purpose of this post was to just get some ideas from you guys on basically what you'd think I'd need in the bus. Obviously with almost 15 guys, a urinal is a must. Let me hear your ideas / expertise.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Sounds like A/C is a must as well. The urinal idea is great, you will use very little water that way. What make and model is the bus?
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Bill Pauley
New Bus Today!

Matt, Congrats on your bus purchase, You will have to licence and insure it, and repaint the bus any other color than Bus yellow. Check with your local drivers licence facility, they will have all the info and brochures with what you need to do. Good luck. Bill
Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Perhaps the law requiring you to paint your bus some color other than "school bus yellow" is only an urban legend?

problems with such a law:

Exactly what color is considered "school bus yellow"? It's unlikely that all buses in the country or even the state use the same paint code

Are other shades of yellow ok?

Insurance and registration will cost significantly more if the vehilce is used as some form of company vehicle. This would in fact make it a commercial vehicle, requiring a CDL and commercial vehicle plates, registration ect. I don't think it will fall into the motorhome category if it's used to make money.

In michigan, a non commercial vehicle like my bus with a GVW of 28,000 pounds only costs me about 30 bucks for annual registration. If it were a commercial vehicle with the same GVW, registration would be 6-8 hundred dollars.

Just something to think about.....
Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #5

1988 GMC 8.2 Liter Bus

Im ******* stoked. 90,000 miles, pricetag of $700 dollars.

Mint condition.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

sounds like you got an excellent deal on that bus ! My bus had 254,000 miles and cost me $775. Congratulations. You practically stole that one!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #7

yeah im really excited. if im correct your bus is the one w/ the flames and jacuzzi on it? about how much did that run you? also, can you give me details on your veggie conversion?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I found the jacuzzi in the want adds in the newspaper for $250 bucks. I had a total of about $4K in the bus. I'm in the middle of a major re-construction project right now. Completely remodeling the inside and i've spent about another thousand bucks bringing my grand total to about $5,000.

for info on the veggie oil conversion, go to this thread

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223
Old 01-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

im doing my conversion along the same lines that mattack described, ill post pictures of it as soon as i can get the pics off of my camera.
University of South Florida

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
-Theodore Roosevelt
frey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #10

I finally found a place to park it -- waaaay out in pungo (middle of nowhere). I should hear back from a huge church across the street from my house soon enough about parking / working on it there until summer.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #11

also i forgot i have a directory with all the pics including the 2 i posted on my site in high resolution. http://www.froth.org/bus
Old 01-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

check out our bus its being built along the same lines.
USF SAE at http://sae.eng.usf.edu/~sae/gallery/
University of South Florida

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
-Theodore Roosevelt
frey2 is offline   Reply With Quote