Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Must say our new bus is a dream to drive. And you have a good one too. Guess we can dream about semi's and enjoy what we have because what we have are really good.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:05 PM   #62
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Stumbled across another one today... "I bought a $3k bus but then overheated the engine and paid $25k for a new engine!"
This is the sort I just don't get. If you can get a bus for $3k, why would you spend $25k on a new engine?

Sunk Cost Fallacy, or something??
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #63
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The lazy farmer View Post
I'm not here to criticize anyone. I am new to the bus community. I just bought one. Haven't even picked it up yet. But the thing is I paid $4,400. If I blow the motor up I will go buy another bus just like it for under 5k and do an engine swap. Busses are cheap relatively speaking. Why would you drop 20k in a bus that's not worth 5?
I don't know how many people here have discovered this here yet, but used medium duty engines aren't all that expensive either. Basically the same cost as a bus. And easier to find.
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredForStereo View Post
I don't know how many people here have discovered this here yet, but used medium duty engines aren't all that expensive either. Basically the same cost as a bus. And easier to find.
I think it comes down to labor costs. A lot of people, myself included, aren't good enough "backyard mechanics" to pull off an engine swap. The labor to hire it out is far more than the price of a good or reman or recycled engine.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:00 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
I'm not here to criticize anyone. I am new to the bus community. I just bought one. Haven't even picked it up yet. But the thing is I paid $4,400. If I blow the motor up I will go buy another bus just like it for under 5k and do an engine swap. Busses are cheap relatively speaking. Why would you drop 20k in a bus that's not worth 5?

All my experience is with semi trucks. Busses are cheap compared to them. I did a Motor Home conversion on a Freightliner Columbia. The Bus is wayyyy cheaper.

or you go buy a POS rust bucket from up here in ohio.. esp NE ohio.. they go to scrap with oftemn really good running drivetrains for cheap because they cant pass state inspection.. drive it home../ yank the motor...

if its a wet sleeve engine then you in-frame it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:02 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

There is a big range of capabilities in the skoolie world. So we do need to be mindful of those with less experience.

The engine in my old bus has eaten an exhaust valve. I have spare heads, and a spare engine. The bus means a lot to me and I can swap heads in less then a day if no other damage. Most skoolie owners would be at the mercy of a shop, and most shops will not let you work on it there or stay in it. It cost me a good bit to get it towed home. If i was to far from home then what? I can imagine how it must feel for those who live on the road without a shop to work in or the skills. My hat is off to those, and I have lots of compassion for them. Brave souls they are.

As for me I will fix the old bus one way or another as time permits, and keep it close to home. Just can not see anymore long trips with an antique bus. The new one will be for that.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:02 PM   #67
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post

Just out of curiosity why go from a semi truck conversion to a bus?
I'm using the bus mainly to haul scouts to campouts and pull our trailer with the the gear. It's amazing how many parents want the kids to have the experience but they don't wan the responsibility to take them. Right now I'm hauling kids in my suburban but I cant pull our big equipment trailer.

I'm keeping the semi conversion until I die. I have to. I have too much money in it.

99 Freightliner Blue bird 53 passenger 5.9 Cummins AT 545 4 speed Allison 3:73 gears
The lazy farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:48 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'm using the bus mainly to haul scouts to campouts and pull our trailer with the the gear. It's amazing how many parents want the kids to have the experience but they don't wan the responsibility to take them. Right now I'm hauling kids in my suburban but I cant pull our big equipment trailer.

I'm keeping the semi conversion until I die. I have to. I have too much money in it.

Oh yes you had mentioned that in another thread. I did not put 2 and 2 together. This makes sense.