Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
AAA review for Skoolie towing

Here is my brief review of AAA RV Plus roadside assistance.
They expletiveing rock!
The people on the phone were fairly snotty and bwordy and would not listen to what I had to say. If she hadn't had shared the same name as our beloved butter hag I would have probably asked to speak to a manager. I requested a tow for my Vermont Motorhome that was not accelerating properly as I had to leave the campground and go back to my friends about 60+ miles away.
It was about two hours of dealing with this rude lady calling me back to try to 'find' a shop that could help. I specifically told her I needed a wrecker designed for a 40foot Motorhome or a trailer. She kept acting like she didn't know what that meant or how to ask around at the tow shops to see if they had the right trucks. She repeatedly asked me the year and model, I kept saying 96 vermont motorhome, than rattled off simple details and told her to have a shop manager call me.
The first shop that called did not know any of the details I told her, they thought it was an RV to tow not a Motorhome! The shop manager was very knowledgabel and when I told them it was a 38 foot diesel dully with an automatic transmission and hydraulic breaks they said they had a wrecker that would work for it.
The shop estimated it would be two hours but then an hour and a half later the driver called and said they were an hour on away. No big deal as we were enjoying hiking around hunting sheds. After hiking we went back to the bus to take a nap.
When the tow truck driver arrived he just knocked on the door and walked up the steps with a smile on his face asking 'is this the orange motorhome waiting for a tow'?
Between my questions, the campsite owners questions and my kids questions I'm surprised we didn't bug the guy! They were super laid back and did a great job explaining every step of hooking up Hellen and removing the driveshaft. I asked if I could crawl under the bus and watched what he was doing, how to put it back etc. He said there not required to reassemble it but would go ahead and do so since we were not going to a shop.
Anyway the hour plus drive I was a nervous wreck hoping nothing happened to by bus! The driver was fine, even on the narrow one lane dirt roads we ended up going down! They were even attentive and watched out for chickens and critters etc when we arrived at our destination
After parking the bus and catching up with my friends I left for my apartment. this is where the night went wrong. I was driving in the dark along a river with no guard rail and deer kept peeking out. So I drove five under the speed limit and braked hard and honked a couple of times. Apparently some concerned citizen felt the need to call the police because they could not speed with me 'blocking' the road each time I stopped for deer! So I end up getting pulled over by a super friendly officer that said he was following me for a while and didn't notice anything dangerous about my driving but had to pull me over anyway because people complained!
Sorry for the essay folks and if you made it this far thanks for reading

Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
How much do you pay for AAA RV coverage? I'm a regular AAA member but I don't think this would cover my skoolie towing.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:16 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
How much do you pay for AAA RV coverage? I'm a regular AAA member but I don't think this would cover my skoolie towing.

It depends on where you are located and how many drivers are included. We have two drivers and it costs a total of about $170.00/year [includes the regular membership and the RV Plus]. It includes 4 services per year, one of which may be a 200 mile tow (or something like that). Call your local AAA and ask about RV Plus.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Derp derp derp, I really don't remember but I think it was around one hundred dollars. I only got the one hundred mile plan but now that I've used most of that up I should upgrade to the two hundred mile one. Also there is a waiting period before you can use it for tows and not just jumps, fuel etc.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
It depends on where you are located and how many drivers are included. We have two drivers and it costs a total of about $170.00/year [includes the regular membership and the RV Plus]. It includes 4 services per year, one of which may be a 200 mile tow (or something like that). Call your local AAA and ask about RV Plus.
Have you had to use AAA RV for your skoolie? I thought it was only four tows not 'services'. I was under the impression, jumps, locksmiths, fuel etc was unlimited. If not they need a more comprehensive dumb blond driver plan.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
Have you had to use AAA RV for your skoolie?
No, we have not.

Quote:
I thought it was only four tows not 'services'.
It is basiclly 4 tows (one of them a 200 mile tow), but it also includes other one-off services.

Quote:
I was under the impression, jumps, locksmiths, fuel etc was unlimited. If not they need a more comprehensive dumb blond driver plan.
Basically, yes. There are some that can only be used once or once per household.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote