Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

AC Unit Removal Question

There's an AC unit in my 2004 Ford E450 Collins bus and I'd like to remove it. I won't be driving much and I'm not into AC. I'd rather not have the eyesore.

I don't know anything about these sorts of things... under the bus there is also a big thing with fans on it... judging from other research I've done on this site, that may be part of the AC Unit? I don't really care if that stays or goes, so leaving it seems like the path of least resistance... unless that is a dumb idea for some reason?

I'm not trying to do this in a very elaborate way, I just need the unit inside the bus gone, but I see there are 3 hoses connected to it -- one appears to be clear and empty, the other two are opaque and rigid - I assume in and out of some sort of fluid ("refrigerant" as others have claimed? I'll just assume that's toxic and don't want it spilling on my floor or hands, ha!). Any insight about whats inside / going on with the hoses?

Can I just cut the lines and let the fluid drain a bit, then connect the tubes so it bypasses the unit? Can I empty the fluid entirely, or will that mess with the system down the line? Where's the best place to drain the fluid if that's the best solution -- just cut the hoses at the AC unit inside the bus or is there a better spot first?

Again, I know nothing about this and just want the simplest solution that isn't going to mess anything up.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  

ForestGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGarden View Post
There's an AC unit in my 2004 Ford E450 Collins bus and I'd like to remove it. I won't be driving much and I'm not into AC. I'd rather not have the eyesore.

I don't know anything about these sorts of things... under the bus there is also a big thing with fans on it... judging from other research I've done on this site, that may be part of the AC Unit? I don't really care if that stays or goes, so leaving it seems like the path of least resistance... unless that is a dumb idea for some reason?

I'm not trying to do this in a very elaborate way, I just need the unit inside the bus gone, but I see there are 3 hoses connected to it -- one appears to be clear and empty, the other two are opaque and rigid - I assume in and out of some sort of fluid ("refrigerant" as others have claimed? I'll just assume that's toxic and don't want it spilling on my floor or hands, ha!). Any insight about whats inside / going on with the hoses?

Can I just cut the lines and let the fluid drain a bit, then connect the tubes so it bypasses the unit? Can I empty the fluid entirely, or will that mess with the system down the line? Where's the best place to drain the fluid if that's the best solution -- just cut the hoses at the AC unit inside the bus or is there a better spot first?

Again, I know nothing about this and just want the simplest solution that isn't going to mess anything up.

Thanks for the help!
First, do NOT cut the hoses!!!!!!!! The refrigerant is under pressure and can be recycled into other uses. IF it's R-12, it's ILLEGAL according to the EPA to release (intentionally) R-12 into the atmosphere. R-134A isn't as critical, but is still frowned upon to a direct intentional release. The correct way to delete the A/C is to have the system evacuated with the proper equipment. The clear hose (I believe) is to allow the condensation of the unit to drain to the outside.

Not knowing where you reside, I'll presume you're in the south somewhere. Besides the interior unit, there are many other pieces to the A/C unit you will need to delete (such as the compressor on the engine, the lines, and mounting pieces). It can be a tedious proposition, especially in the summer months.

However, if you are serious about removing the A/C, I'm looking for a unit to install in my build. PM me if you are looking for an A/C rescue....

M
Old 07-04-2019, 01:25 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I didn’t even think about this until I got my bus. I am just right at this point myself.

You need to go to an automotive shop that does AC. I got the killer deal of $20 at Firestone to do mine. I got lucky. The service manager wanted $100, but one of the techs quoted me over the phone so they did it.

After that’s done you could just remove the evaporator (the thing on the ceiling inside), but you’ll need to trace out the wiring and remove that. There’s some big wiring involved.

You’ll also need to see if there’s heater lines running to that evaporator. If there is, you’ll need to disconnect those and put a loop in place.

That condenser (the big thing with the fans underneath) is taking up valuable real estate in a short bus. Might as well get that gone. Again, big wire to trace.

If you’re lucky, the bus body AC is teed-in to the factory cutaway setup and it will just be a matter of disconnecting from the compressor, capping that transition, recharging the Freon to get you back to cab AC if you choose.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditionging, removal, remove