Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Adding an air compressor

Hey Gents and Ladies.

I want to add an air compressor to my bus. Not as a backup for breaking or because of leaks. I have a driver's chair that I use as a desk chair but it has an auto-down feature that blows off compressed air every time I get off it. after a couple dozen times a day I am out of air and I do not want to have to fire up the bus to get the pressure up.

My question is how would I go about adding this into the existing tanks, do I need backflow protection to the existing compressor? Can I "T" Directly into an existing line into the tanks?

Thanks for the help!

BussBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my own personal thought would be to disconnect the chair from the main air system and use a Mini air compressor and tank completely separate for filling it up..

something similar to this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-10000-O...72150308&psc=1
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my own personal thought would be to disconnect the chair from the main air system and use a Mini air compressor and tank completely separate for filling it up..

something similar to this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-10000-O...72150308&psc=1

that is a valid solution I was hoping to avoid the extra tank and thought bolstering my main system may have advantages. like charging the tank before firing up the bus.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I was thinking of something like Chris mentioned. But you can tie into the tank with a separate line to the seat. I have a hose reel mounted under the bus, tied into a spare hole on the end of the tank.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you really shouldnt charge the full system with anything but the bus compressor as it goes through the air dryer.. the air dryer only purges with a signal from the main compressor.. if the bus is air brakes i definitely would not try to charge the complete air system with anything but the system compressor.

you could technically charge the accessory tank with the little compressor.. however im not sure if there are 2 way protector valves or not.. you need a protector valve so that tank pressure never drops below about 65-70by way of an accessory.. Im not sure if you can backflow through one or not..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

perfect that is the answer I was looking for a separate tank it is then. I definitely don't want to jeopardize the main system.