Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International Thomas
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71
Advice for adding a new side door in back with welded stairs

Hello!
I know that I have seen at least one detailed explanation on someone's conversion where they added another door(RV door I think) at the back of the bus, and welded stairs for the new entry.
If you did something like this on your build or you can point me in the right direction, I sure would be appreciative.
Thanks
Virginia

HealthyPetsBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I just saw a thread today where soneone did that with a nice narrow door that fit in the width of a SLightly wider than normal Bus window.. blue-birds often had one wider window toward the back of the bus.. it would be pretty easy to do between windows like that
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
It will eat up a lot of space. Are you asking how to build it or what to build it out of? You need a door first with trim that will cover up your acces point. teh rest is just weld ina frame work cut the hole out and install the door itself. the stairs require a nice frame structure of steel to get the shape. then depending on what you use for risers will tel you how to water proof or seal it up. for instance if you use wood for risers they have to be water proofed or glassed so rain doesn't destroy them. If you use diamond plate risers you could be as easy as good caulking to seal it with rivets or self tapping screws. plus a bit of foam under it all maybe to just control moisture and noise. that could be just glued up from under neath with caulking of some type. Just enough to not get blown off at freeway speeds. Getting the stair riser dimensions is what always screws me up.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Fortunately the space is something I can give up. I am looking for one way flow through the bus since they are being used as mobile vet clinics. I want one door in at the front of the bus and one door out at the back of the bus so dogs have a lesser chance of crossing paths than they would with clients going back to the front with a single door.

I was thinking it was Aaronsb Broccoli bus but went through the build last night.i remember this build welded in a platform over the existing front door for a co captains chair for his wife up front and made a new door with an RV door in the middle. Also made a deck next to the bus where they had it parked by his house. An IKEA pull out sofa that laid flat like a futon. As I myself have no welding skills, I wanted to show someone this build so I have a sort of tutorial for my buses.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
This is what I am planning on doing with our bus. I already got the door which I found on sale. It is 24" x 72" and fits in-between the windows:

Here are a couple of youtube videos I found with people doing the same thing but building off the emergency door. We chose to use an RV door because we wanted to have the door on the passenger side of the bus for safety reasons.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Where did you find your RV door?

I unfortunately do not have an emergency exit on the side. So I will need to cut an entry and then make the stairs like the links you posted. I found the build that I was talking about: it was NilesSkoolie.

So now I just need to find someone local who can help me weld the frame for the stairs....
Old 04-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
Widen Emergency Door?

So, I like the second video where the guy built some stairs and used his emergency door. I plan to seal the passenger door (security, insulation and space considerations) and just use the emergency door for my 2004 Saf-T-Liner HDX. The issue for me is that the door is only 24" wide and I'd like it at least 30" . Has anyone seen or done this type of expansion?
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachvbguy View Post
So, I like the second video where the guy built some stairs and used his emergency door. I plan to seal the passenger door (security, insulation and space considerations) and just use the emergency door for my 2004 Saf-T-Liner HDX. The issue for me is that the door is only 24" wide and I'd like it at least 30" . Has anyone seen or done this type of expansion?
I moved my whole rear handicap door to midship. Cut a new hole and patched over the old one. It's a little nervewracking cutting a nearly unfixable hole 4' wide hole in the side of your bus, but if I can do it, anyone can.
lebusmagique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebusmagique View Post
I moved my whole rear handicap door to midship. Cut a new hole and patched over the old one. It's a little nervewracking cutting a nearly unfixable hole 4' wide hole in the side of your bus, but if I can do it, anyone can.
Do you have pics or video of this? I’m in a similar situation to the OP, where the bus I want has no side door, but I think I can find one at a scrapyard to possible relocate to the middle of my bus.
Super_meg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebusmagique View Post
This might be something in interested in doing. What did you use to cut the new hole for the door? What was your process?
KRiggsArt is offline   Reply With Quote