Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Advisory: Emergency Exits and Parking brake on INTL

Just to let everyone know, later model buses have lots of safety features built in. One such feature is that if there is a fault in any of the emergency exits or door sensors, the air brakes (parking brakes) will not release until said fault is remedied.

This happened to me over the weekend - I pulled the wiring harness out, starting the bus after each disconnect. When I tried to move it later with all the harnesses out, the parking brake would not disengage. I remedied it fairly easily.

However, I took it to the shop yesterday, parked it in the driveway (blocking it) shut it down and they wouldn't release again. Stuck there for two hours tracing which wire came loose (a hidden connector).

Other safety features include a non-start of the engine in certain circumstances, but I have only heard, not experienced those.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
On my 99 if there is a door censor "open" you get nothing but buzzing when you turn the key.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
On my 99 if there is a door censor "open" you get nothing but buzzing when you turn the key.

I have this too. But for some reason the switch and the buzzer are on different plugs. So there was no buzzing.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: Iternational
Engine: DT530E MD3060
Rated Cap: 80
Hey, I know this is an older post but I am having the same issue. I disconnected my emergency exits and am currently pulling wire on my 2000 Int. I can start the bus from the back but not in the ignition in the driver's area. Is there some sort of "kill" switch in the fuse panel to eliminate the issue or do I need to ground the wires to make the circuit closed.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Hey, I know this is an older post but I am having the same issue. I disconnected my emergency exits and am currently pulling wire on my 2000 Int. I can start the bus from the back but not in the ignition in the driver's area. Is there some sort of "kill" switch in the fuse panel to eliminate the issue or do I need to ground the wires to make the circuit closed.
If you know which exit is the culprit, usually the wiring is numbered so you can figure out which goes where. See if you can find the exit sensor wire(s) in the main panel somewhere.

Whether you can just ground the wire to the chassis to fix the issue depends on how the exit switches work. In my case, grounding the wire was the equivalent to "door open", so all I had to do was delete the wire.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
If you know which exit is the culprit, usually the wiring is numbered so you can figure out which goes where. See if you can find the exit sensor wire(s) in the main panel somewhere.

Whether you can just ground the wire to the chassis to fix the issue depends on how the exit switches work. In my case, grounding the wire was the equivalent to "door open", so all I had to do was delete the wire.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
Almost There

I had to trace the wires back one at a time. Found the right one and grounded it to the bus. Starts right up. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I had to trace the wires back one at a time. Found the right one and grounded it to the bus. Starts right up. Thanks for the help.

Good to hear. Sorry, sometimes its just a pain in the behind.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote