Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2009, 05:08 AM   #1

After buying...

Hey guys! I know someone close by that is getting rid of a old bus that was used for road trips. My plan is to covert it into a hippie bus...

After I buy it thogh, I've got the money, what do I have to do in order to be able to drive that bus in NY and elsewhere on roadtrips? I heard it was tough in NYS to do that.

Also, anyone possibly know the years of these buses from the gallery?
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 3.jpg.html
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 7.jpg.html

Thank you!

LOrOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: After buying...

im guseeing 75 to 80.......
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
im guseeing 75 to 80.......
Thank you!
LOrOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
what do I have to do in order to be able to drive that bus in NY and elsewhere
I assume you mean with NY registration and NY license. If you leave your home state, other states honor the privileges granted by your home state license.

The answer depends if it is 26,000 pounds gross weight* or less, or over 26,001 pounds gross. DMV info on license classes is here:
http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/cdl101.pdf

If you do not charge passengers fees for rides (cost sharing excepted), it is under 26,001 lbs gross weight, less than 45 feet long, and does not have air brakes, just register and drive it. You then have fifteen days to paint it other than "National School Bus Chrome" (yellow).

Despite the 18,000 lb. limit that might be printed on an older licenses, about two years ago the legislature added "non-CDL C" class privileges to all Class D (passenger car) and E (limo/taxi) licenses.

If it has air brakes, you may be able to add the endorsement to a standard driver's license, but I have never heard of it being done. You'd have to ask at the DMV or County Clerk's office where you get your license. The endorsement was just an added written test when I got my CDL learner' permit, but I don't know if it applied only to the permit or went right onto my license privileges.

If it's 26,001 lbs or more and not a "House Coach," you will probably need a Class B CDL and pass a DOT physical. If it's 26,001 lbs or more, or over 45 feet long and IS a "House Coach," you will need an 'R' endorsement on your regular license. By Federal law, states cannot require an actual CDL for an RV.

I thought I had seen the list of requirements for "House Coach" registration in NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law, but I can't find it today. It was a typical requirement that the vehicle must have a certain number from a list of options, (sleeping, cooking, water, toilet, power separate from engine, heat separate from engine, etc.) but as I recall, the options had to be built-in. A cot, Coleman stove, ice chest, jug of water, port-a-potty and a portable heater didn't cut it here.

*NYS VTL 502-A says the license required goes by the heaviest of either manufacturer's design weight (data plate), registered weight, or actual loaded weight.
EDIT: OOPS!! I accidentally typed an "R" endorsement was required over 5 feet instead of 45 feet.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84

RE: "Also, anyone possibly know the years of these buses from the gallery?"

The crossover year for buses with that hood was either late '89 or early '90. I've got an '89 with that same hood (which I like the way they look) and I have seen pictures of '89 models with the new style hood also. Those buses can be as new as 1990's.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote