Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Air Bag Suspension?

Hey I am contemplating removing my rear axle and replacing it with a semi setup, I mean an air bag system. Is this even remotely smart? Have any of you done this before? What kind of stuff am I going to sacrifice? I was also wandering if I could simply modify my spring bracket setup so that one bracket mounts to an air bag and in turn to the frame instead of mounting the spring directly to the frame. I am no heavy duty mechanic and am not really sure what I should do here. Of course I will do this after the mandatory infamous safety inspection Lady Franklin is subject to before insuring... I think. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Air Bag Suspension?

airride = 2 thumbs up
look at or for trucks with airride for ideas and possibly a used doner system, the easy way would be to install a used system from a truck with the same chassis as the one you have.
your other option would to be to install or fab a custom system, google airride, firestone and goodear ar the major bag manufacturers, ridewell and several other truck component suppliers specialize in suspension systems, look at what they offer and then choose a system that looks good to you.
the important thing with airride is the bag only holds the bus up, you have to have the necessary mchanical linkage to locate the axle front to back,side to side, and to counteract the torque of starting and stoping.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Air Bag Suspension?

airride = 2 thumbs up
look at or for trucks with airride for ideas and possibly a used doner system, the easy way would be to install a used system from a truck with the same chassis as the one you have.
your other option would to be to install or fab a custom system, google airride, firestone and goodear ar the major bag manufacturers, ridewell and several other truck component suppliers specialize in suspension systems, look at what they offer and then choose a system that looks good to you.
the important thing with airride is the bag only holds the bus up, you have to have the necessary mchanical linkage to locate the axle front to back,side to side, and to counteract the torque of starting and stoping.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote