Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Almost There

air conditioners in windows

I saw Experience's post on the insurance thread and was wondering what different approaches people have taken to installing air conditioners. That pic had a temp one that obviously came out while driving, just wondering how the window was sealed when the AC was not in since it looks like he took the whole window out...

Old 01-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: air conditioners in windows

Actually, it didn't come out while driving. It was screwed in and didn't go anywhere, but it was hardly an elegant solution, nor was it very effective. We just knew that it was going to be hot that weekend and that was the best we could do with the VERY short time we had available. It turned out to be easier just to not be in the bus during the hot hours of the day.

Check out Steve's AC. I like the way he did his.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Almost There

That is an awesome job. I will probably end up building a cabinet to house the AC and vent to an outside window like that. I just hope my light fixture isn't in the way...

Of course our very first camping trip and upstate NY set record temps in the 90's in September. So this year we are going to be prepared.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I removed a window in my bus and built a wood A/C holder. It's not in my bus right now and I don't have a picture of the setup. I'll try to explain it... It's a piece of plywood with a hole in the center the size of the A/C then a 1x6 frame in front (inside the bus - side) of the hole - to give the A/C added support. I spray painted the whole thing black to make it look a little better. The only picture I have of it is from the outside without the A/C in.

We were going camping for a weekend and knew it was going to be hot, so I grabbed a the window A/C from my bedroom. It was probably in the 90's for the weekend, and running on max it was only about 10 degrees colder in the bus.

My windows are easy to remove, there's 4 big phillips head screws that hold each one in. There's a bunch of liquid nails looking caulk between the window frame and the bus. I replaced the window after the weekend and didn't have any problems with it leaking. If it did ever leak, I could just take it out and add more caulk to it.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

I removed a window, which was simple, then placed a standard window a/c unit into the opening. I braced it in with green-treated 2x4's (to resist rot from condensation.) I trimmed the outside in sheet metal, caulked around it, then painted it. It looks ok. On the inside I put even more 2x4's to hold it in - I'm taking no chances of losing it going down the highway. Once I get far enough along, I will trim around the inside with finish-grade pine for its final look. It cools the bus pretty nicely.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfisher83
I removed a window, which was simple, then placed a standard window a/c unit into the opening. I braced it in with green-treated 2x4's (to resist rot from condensation.) I trimmed the outside in sheet metal, caulked around it, then painted it. It looks ok. On the inside I put even more 2x4's to hold it in - I'm taking no chances of losing it going down the highway. Once I get far enough along, I will trim around the inside with finish-grade pine for its final look. It cools the bus pretty nicely.

-Adam
Depending on the width of your bus, it might not be legal to have it extending out the side while driving. Even if it is within legal width, it could be asking for trouble. One idea would be to mount it on heavy duty drawer slides. When riding it would be flush with the side of the bus. When parked and in use, push it out. It could be secured in place with locking pins and you could fashion a rubber wiper style seal on the top to resist rain leaks.

One other point, from experience. Unless the bus is parked perfectly level, window units can leak condensation on the inside or at least down the outside of the bus. I installed drain tubes inside and out by drilling holes and mounting a tube using silicone adhesive. On the outside it ran down to the ground. On the inside it went into a gallon jug. If the AC was permanent, you could plumb it through the floor.
BusNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusNut

Depending on the width of your bus, it might not be legal to have it extending out the side while driving.
Precisely why I mounted it on the right side of the bus...it didn't make it any more legal, but I'm confident that it was far less likely to get smacked off by a semi on the shoulder side versus the side facing the hammer lane.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

I guess the way I see it, there are probably many violations on my bus, so I'm not too concerned about the legality of my air conditioner. It is secure and weathertight, and that's all I care about. And yes, condensation is a problem. I am installing a trough beneath the unit to collect the water, which will then drain through a hose that runs through the floor of the bus. This will all be concealed from view with pine once my interior is done.
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I had built a 1x6 frame inside my bus so my A/C sat 6" further inside the bus than being flush with the window. I didn't have mine in while driving but I'm sure I could have. It only stuck out the side about 5" or so... less than my mirrors stick out. I wouldn't worry about it unless it was hanging 12" or more off the side.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

I just cut a hole under my window on the drivers side. I also installed one on the other side in the back after removing the window. I'll try to get some better pictures later.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
bus ac.jpg  
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote