Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Skoolie

Air cowl for roof deck?

Has anyone had issues with the addition of a roof deck, or numerous roof mounted solar panels, creating wind drag/turbulence?

I'm thinking about how semi-trucks typically have that empty cowl on top of the tractor that raises up to the roof level of the trailer. Should we be considering something like this to keep roof decks or roof mounted appliances from creating more drag than necessary? Or maybe to protect such items from being wrenched around as much by turbulence?

Then again, flat nose bus configurations look like they probably have all the aerodynamics of a rolling brick, so I don't know if an air guard would make any difference in those cases.

Anyone have an idea on the subject?

lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
As you correctly state, you have a rolling brick. Add solar panels to it and its still a rolling brick. Add a deck and solar panels and then you just have a bigger rolling brick with sharper edges.

BTW: did I mention its a brick?

Cowl or aerodynamics not needed, and likely not noticable, but hey, if you ever get the itch, it's a place you might get back a fraction of an MPG, and if you do a lot of driving it could be worth it!