Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Air Horns

My bus does not have air brakes and therefore no air reservoir tank. I would still like to add some air horns, but all the kits I can find have cheap plastic horns and a tiny 12V compressor that barely builds enough pressure to compete with a well executed fart! I thought about mounting a 5 gallon portable air tank under the bus but I still would need to figure out a compressor for it and get some electric air valves to make them scream. Of course there is always those neat musical horns, but all the new ones seem rather weak and don't command the attention that a good solid blast from a 100 psi air horn can provide. Any help is appreciated, where to get the horns, the compressor, etc... Thanks.

jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Air Horns

That's a little more than I was expecting...a train horn. Imagine that thing accidentally going off at 3am in the middle of a crowded RV park. You may get shot!

I was thinking something a little more suited for a bus. Maybe even one of those real air powered musical horn varieties.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
That's a little more than I was expecting...a train horn. Imagine that thing accidentally going off at 3am in the middle of a crowded RV park. You may get shot!
It could happen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Breath of Fresh Road blog, on January 14 2008
. . . . we were off for Mesa,AZ. Or at least that's what I thought.

We drove up by the office and Connie went in to pay the damages while I double-checked the dolly and car. After I finished I moved the rig a little bit further ahead to give others some more room to go out. Sal & Bobbie rolled by and Sal was driving, saw me and honked his horn.

I honked my horn back at him as he rolled out of the driveway.

In case you didn't know it, our motorhome has dual Hadley Air Horns that really make you sit up and take notice when you use them.

About 30 seconds after I honked the horn, Connie came charging toward the rig with a questioning look on her face. (or was that anger?) OH yeah did I mention the horn wouldn't shut off???????????? Damn but that thing is LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to shut the rig diwn and let all the air pressure die out before the horn would stop. grrr

Quote:
I checked what I knew to check for, pulled the 12v fuse for the horn and unplugged the horn relay, assuming that the horn would stop without the needed electrical signal. WRONG

I tried everything I could find, called Monaco tech service (solenoid sticking but couldn't tell me where the solenoid was located), then got a name for a local RV Service . . .

Quote:
. . the guys who showed up found the problem and had the horn shut off so I could at least get down the road. Sooooo, after a 2.5 hour delay . . .
Air horns are still cool, but note to self:
Install a manual cut-off valve someplace in the air line to the solenoid or horn. This will allow for for servicing, plus rapid escape from embarrassment and/or possible unwanted gunplay. . .

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Excellent idea. I have been debating between an electric solenoid valve or a classic pull valve like the truckers use. Either way I am now going to put an emergency air shutoff valve inline with the horn just in case the main valve sticks or starts to leak.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut

The air horns we sell for truckers use a spring loaded valve, usually mounted in the truck ceiling right under the horn with a line (wire-chain-cable etc) to pull on it to activate the horn...you let go and it stops blowing... I believe the valves we sell are made by Bendix...there are other makes. A quick google search turned up this...
http://www.worldamerican.com/Catalogs/A ... r_horn.pdf

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I think I found the one I want to use. It is made by Wolo, designed for use with onboard air. It sounds like THIS
Attached Thumbnails
rodi_2098_247244432.jpg