Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Air Intake Scoop

I've been looking online & checked a truckstop but I can't find one of those aftermarket scoop's that you see on Semi Truck air intakes, anybody have a idea where I can find them?

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Air Intake Scoop

I use a GMC pickup air box with filter on the intake,and did away with the big air fitler that came on the bus,,and have it mount on the frame ,up fornt near the bumper,,almost like ram air on it,or u can go with a K/M filter for a diesel truck.4 " size.. go to a junk yard for the GMC or chev air box ,,got mine for $10.00 take off.. .. I have it on a cummins 5.9 -6bt 190 hp,,,, pently of air on the intake.

the bus filter is $ 86.00 or the gmc is $20.00 your choice,,,,,
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Keith, I'd have to disagree with using a gasoline engine air filter on a diesel motor. While it is possible to plumb up such a system, it is doubtful that the light duty air filter is going to do very well. Diesel engines process a whole lot of air, especially the turbo ones. If you look at the air filter on most intermediate duty diesel engines you will find a gauge that reflects the ability of the air filter to properly process air. Its input is as critical as the dip stick in the engine pan if you are looking for engine longevity. I hate paying $86 for an air filter just like you and I'll happily pay $20 for an air filter for my 466 gasser which costs a grand to rebuild, but my little turbo diesel rebuild when the time comes will be ten grand so I'll stick with the heavy duty air filter if only to stave off the inevitable. My two cents worth, Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

mine doing just fine,i have a K,M filter H/D in it and I get 11 to 12 mpg on the hiway,,it has a 4'' intake and 4'outlet same has the bus filter,but just smaller.and it being up next to the bumper step opening,,,its like ram air.. the air do's not have to go though all them bents,B/S.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

I have a Crown pusher and the intake is a 5in pipe that runs thru the roof, I'v seen semi trucks & I used to see them sold at truckstops but what I'm looking for is just a scoop that clamps to the top of the pipe , looks kinda like a blower scoop facing into the wind, Ive seen some in Summit but their designed to sit on carburaters , I guess it could be modified to work
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
I have a Crown pusher and the intake is a 5in pipe that runs thru the roof, I'v seen semi trucks & I used to see them sold at truckstops but what I'm looking for is just a scoop that clamps to the top of the pipe , looks kinda like a blower scoop facing into the wind, Ive seen some in Summit but their designed to sit on carburaters , I guess it could be modified to work
think dryer vent at hardware store
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote