Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #21

Year: 1991
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 25,500
Brake Shoes won't Move a bit

Hey everyone, first off Im super stoked to finally be posting here. Ive used this blog for the past couple weeks to get our 1991 International 3800 Bus road worthy.

Air system achieves 120 psi, with no leaks...
when parking brake released, air releases from can, push rod moves, slack adjuster cam moves....no release

I have tried shifting to drive and reverse....nothing
I chocked tires put bus in Neutral released park brake and beat on drums...nothing

One source told be to spray pb blaster on brake shoes....I dont think this is a good idea...??? I thought lubrication on pads and drum was a BIG no no, however for this case maybe its necessary

going to try pumping brakes hard...9 to 10 times...haven't tried that

Does anyone have any experience getting someone (tow-truck) to pull on the bus to get the rear wheels to break free? Any advice on this method would be great. I want to fully understand if this is possible and words of caution and or standard procedure prior to hiring a tow truck to yard on this beast.

I was thinking about caging the brakes...this insures that the brakes are in the release position right??? would this help at any point in my endavours?

HALP PLEASE...AND THANK YOU

mmwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I am a driver by profession and have occasionally had this happen on road tractors and trailers. Most recently a truck had been parked for about 4 months ... Yes, the brakes can and do and will stick like this. You've already assured that the brake chambers are releasing and all the parts seem to be working ... so just drop it in Low and give it some throttle. Try Reverse, back and forth. Give it some throttle (just be prepared for the sudden release); this is standard protocol when this happens on trucks/trailers. Shouldn't have to beat on the drums unless the brakes were set when they were *HOT*. As a last resort, I'll find a wedge/chisel and drive it between the drums and shoes, after making sure the wheels are chocked (and in a tractor/trailer, one set of brakes is still set). I've only ever had to do this once in my entire career (20+ years).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
When I drove and the trailer brakes wouldn't release, I just put it in reverse. Worked every time.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote