Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2017, 01:08 AM   #21
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
That's good to hear!

That's the kind of road trip you'll remember for the rest of your life.

My dad still talks about driving cross country when he was in college using a choke cable run through the window instead of the gas pedal because the throttle linkage broke.

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:21 AM   #22
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalcypher View Post
100 miles closer! Alternator unplugged works like a charm.

Reconnecting now at a truck stop to charge a little before the last 75 miles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear that.
I had an adventure driving home myself including springing an oil leak and losing a muffler in Cincinnati. And I was smiling the whole time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #23
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well I drove 40 miles home from the bus barn and had a flat tire! That was a long riveting trip. Whew! I'm waiting to break down when I'm 200 miles from civilization.

It's very cool that the alternator disconnect worked. You're learning how to MacGyver your bus already.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:36 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Well I drove 40 miles home from the bus barn and had a flat tire! That was a long riveting trip. Whew! I'm waiting to break down when I'm 200 miles from civilization.

It's very cool that the alternator disconnect worked. You're learning how to MacGyver your bus already.


Well... reconnecting the alternator did not work to charge the battery.

As the battery died the throttle cut out, we are stuck about 40 miles out.

Thinking about a road call or somehow getting to walmart to buy a new battery


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #25
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalcypher View Post
Well... reconnecting the alternator did not work to charge the battery.

As the battery died the throttle cut out, we are stuck about 40 miles out.

Thinking about a road call or somehow getting to walmart to buy a new battery


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are in a decently populated area, Uber is a good choice.
Roadside assistance is expensive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #26
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I was afraid of that. Your electronic fuel shut off valve closed when the power got to low in your battery. That's another good reason to have a manual fuel shutoff valve installed. Electric fuel shut of valves are pretty common at failing anyway. I did think of that last night, but my lack of experience with electronic fuel shut off valves is showing. It's difficult to know what voltage is required to keep the electronic fuel shut off valve working properly. I was hoping that as your power levels dropped you might be able to get another battery. The fuel shut off valve should be fine as soon as you have battery power again.

That's a rough start with your new to you bus. I feel bad for all the stress you're going through. I'm sure this experience has been quite expensive, not counting the cost of the bus.

Yesterday we were pretty sure it was the alternator, or regulator, gone bad that destroyed your battery twice. The alternator not working when you plugged it back in is a pretty good clue, but have that alternator tested before you replace it.

We feel your pain because most of us have been there at one time.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I was afraid of that. Your electronic fuel shut off valve closed when the power got to low in your battery. That's another good reason to have a manual fuel shutoff valve installed. Electric fuel shut of valves are pretty common at failing anyway. I did think of that last night, but my lack of experience with electronic fuel shut off valves is showing. It's difficult to know what voltage is required to keep the electronic fuel shut off valve working properly. I was hoping that as your power levels dropped you might be able to get another battery. The fuel shut off valve should be fine as soon as you have battery power again.

That's a rough start with your new to you bus. I feel bad for all the stress you're going through. I'm sure this experience has been quite expensive, not counting the cost of the bus.

Yesterday we were pretty sure it was the alternator, or regulator, gone bad that destroyed your battery twice. The alternator not working when you plugged it back in is a pretty good clue, but have that alternator tested before you replace it.

We feel your pain because most of us have been there at one time.





Made it more to update later, alternator is defiantly the culprit.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #28
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Glad to hear it's put away in the back yard.

Your bus is nearly the spitting image of my bus.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #29
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Glad you made it! An adventure At the start... Who doesn't like adventure!


Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #30
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Back home under its own power... That's a win in my book.

Looking forward to hearing the details.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 29
The end of day 1

We arrived on the farm that's hosting my conversion by 8:30 this morning and went right to work on 2 hours of sleep. I could not have been more excited.

Any ideas on what to do with these big heaters?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #32
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Depends.

Some people toss em.

Some people add a coolant heater and use them for heat both while going down the road and when parked with the engine off.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #33
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
So what'd you end up doing to get it the last 40 miles down the road?
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:56 AM   #34
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Depends.

Some people toss em.

Some people add a coolant heater and use them for heat both while going down the road and when parked with the engine off.
I am going to clean them up and install at least 2 of them. I won't run them off the engine, but if I ever put a wood stove in I figure I could run a heat exchanger from the stove and use the heaters for that.
May not be the best system, but I like to build stuff lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
So what'd you end up doing to get it the last 40 miles down the road?


2nd road service call. He charged up my semi faulty battery and I purchased a fresh one to keep in the bus. It was 6:30am and my only option. We made the last 30 miles without the alternator plugged in on the recharged battery.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #36
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 15,813
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I am going to clean them up and install at least 2 of them. I won't run them off the engine, but if I ever put a wood stove in I figure I could run a heat exchanger from the stove and use the heaters for that.
May not be the best system, but I like to build stuff lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
YEOOW!!! be WARY of backboilers on wood stoves!! you can blow yourself up REAL easy... its MUCH more than just running a water loop somewhere hot and then through the heaters... there's expansion tanks, pressure reliefs, air bleeds, pumps... oh and dont get air caught somewhere because of poor pipe routing.. esp in the firebox... Super-heated pressurized water can and will kill..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #37
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
YEOOW!!! be WARY of backboilers on wood stoves!! you can blow yourself up REAL easy... its MUCH more than just running a water loop somewhere hot and then through the heaters... there's expansion tanks, pressure reliefs, air bleeds, pumps... oh and dont get air caught somewhere because of poor pipe routing.. esp in the firebox... Super-heated pressurized water can and will kill..
-Christopher
The plan is not for a closed system.
Vented system with 12v pumps. Only will be used when shore water is available. Picture a toilet tank type float to keep the system full. Loop of copper around the flu pipe. I don't do high pressure. I never wanted my black seal.
I saw the myth busters blow up a hot water heater... Nope.
And I probably won't ever get around to even playing with that.
I will have propane as a primary heat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.