Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Question Allstate Insurance

Hello folks, I have just gotten a quote from Allstate through my local agent. Was referred by Kelly Newsome.(SP.) I am taking the liability only for my build. This way I can drive it around while everything else is going on in my life. The big question is has anyone else setup this with Allstate? I was just wondering if they will keep the policy for all year? Not like some of the horror stories I have read about inline. thanks for the answers beforehand.

Historymaker 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Good luck with Allstate. They totally screwed me over and now I am unable to find insurance...commercial, RV, anything anywhere. I am at the point where I need to decide whether to sell my bus or trailer it home to Canada and park it on my property there. The entire ordeal has taken several months and has been nothing but a nightmare. It and pretty much dashed any dreams of traveling around and exploring the country before I retire in my bus.
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I don't want to jinx it but I just renewed my second year with Allstate. I went through Kelly's office and they told me I need to send pics of the build when I'm done but my progress is very slow so I haven't produced any yet. Not sure if it matters but I pay for the year in full and also sign up for the roadside assistance/tow package. The renewal was as simple as any car insurance renewal and I did it online.

Vineyardseashell, I curious to hear your experience with them. Haven't really heard much bad on allstate like I have on Progressive.
Flipmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #4

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66
We signed up with Allstate a couple weeks ago. The process was almost too easy to be true, no pictures needed or mentioned. The agent did say Allstate might not be issuing new policies for Skoolies after this year but said we should be grandfathered in.
TayoTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Pb205
Chassis: Fe300
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 76
Got insurance in about an hour, pre conversion, on a 2005 IC FE300 through an Allstate agent in Red Oak, Texas,
Nickie Weyrauch.
972-617-5433
$136/annum.
Pb205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Allstate Changes later

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have signed up for the liability insurance for Allstate. took like 5 minutes. Asked about the question of Allstate getting out of the Skoolie business. My agent said that Allstate is talking about getting rid of all their RV insurance, but they are not positive yet. What is going to happen is I will be notified if they do, about another company that will be picking up these policies so I can set up with the new company before my current one expires. So far that is all I can find out about this.
Historymaker 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
My story is almost identical to Flipmode's. I just payed for my second year with Allstate after Kelly helped me get set up with a local rep a year ago. I'm on the slow conversion track, but wanted to keep the liability just so I've got it when I need to drive it anywhere. I pay $150/yr up front, and at that price it's just easier to keep it even if I don't use it, than be stressed out about finding a policy if I were to cancel it.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode View Post
also sign up for the roadside assistance/tow package.
I did not realize they have an option for roadside for a bus? have any more details?
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I bought a bus, from a wrecker yard, that had been impounded. The lot would not let me in the yard to even look at the impound (for no insurance) without showing proof of insurance. So I had to get insurance just to look at it. I got a quick policy with Allstate with the understanding of what I was doing and would cancel the policy the next day, which I did. The problem came up when they continued to send me a bill every month after that. So I wouldn't worry about them canceling, they want your money.

Those who are able to get insurance as an RV, but don't have a completed conversion may find out the hard way that you have no coverage.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

o1marc,

Can you explain a bit more about Insurance as an RV without a completed conversion might find out they have no coverage?

As in coverage will be dropped and impossible to get again? Of if there was an accident it wouldn't actually be covered?
Mrmagoo1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:45 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Allstate would not renew me this year unless I added my car to the policy. Had no loses with them last (and first) year.

Problem was they want $1k for my 13 explorer with collison, I pay 500 per year for my car now for same coverage. Not sure what I will do haven't found anyone else to do my bus for upcoming summer travels. Might have to add my car....
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:53 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I wonder if Allstate is looking around and thinking "ya know what, we don't allow wood stoves or roof decks, but every skoolie I see online has a wood stove and a roof deck."
Old 03-31-2021, 09:00 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
I wouldnt insure homemade motorhomes or even offer up free towing!! Not sure why they do. Gotta be a money losser for them!

We go 'off road' more then conventional RVs, boondock in rough areas, etc...! Good Sam has lost money on me and I am older and a conservative careful driver!!

Keep my fingers crossed they all dont drop us. I am eyeballing NH, dont need car insurance there so maybe you dont need RV insurance.
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo1077 View Post
o1marc,

Can you explain a bit more about Insurance as an RV without a completed conversion might find out they have no coverage?

As in coverage will be dropped and impossible to get again? Of if there was an accident it wouldn't actually be covered?
If you are able to secure RV insurance on a conversion that has not been completed, in the event of a claim the insurance company will say this doesn't qualify as an RV, so they deny coverage. Most DMV's are easy to pull the wool over their eyes and they'll take your word for what it is in many cases. Your insurance on the other hand will require pictures of a completed conversion with 4 of the 6 requirements before writing a policy as an RV.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
I am eyeballing NH, dont need car insurance there so maybe you dont need RV insurance.
While they don't require insurance for SOME people, you still need to show financial responsibility by having a bond issued, or an escrow account with a certain amount of money in it. If you've been convicted of any of the following you would be required to have insurance.
DWI - (1st, 2nd, Subsequent, and Aggravated).
Underage DWI - (1st, 2nd, Subsequent, Aggravated).
Leaving Scene of Accident.
Conduct After Accident
Subsequent (2nd) offense Reckless Operation.

It's not an option where you don't have to do anything about insurance. They review your record and decide whether you qualify for FR.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood443 View Post
I did not realize they have an option for roadside for a bus? have any more details?
When I signed up with Allstate through Kelly Newsom's office they told me at the time about the package and they said it included towing. I signed up over the phone. Never looked into it until last night as I just took their word in it. Reading over the pamphlet for the roadside assistance I am unclear if it does include town of my bus. Towards the bottom they exclude dual wheel vehicles from towing but then they include dual wheel campers and motorhomes? Lol, not sure I'm following what they're saying there...
Attached Thumbnails
20210331_000005.jpg  
Flipmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:04 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
I am eyeballing NH, dont need car insurance there so maybe you dont need RV insurance.
Here in NH the DMV doesn't require insurance to register any vehicle as long as the owners driving privilege's are in good standing.

I don't think it's a good policy, as there are many low life characters running around uninsured that could care less if they get into an at fault accident, or the repercussions for others involved.

Having said that, if one is involved in an accident and is deemed to be "at fault" causing the accident, they are liable for the vehicle damages and medical bills for anyone they hurt.
Most folks running the roads without insurance haven't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out, so actually collecting any money from some careless uninsured motorist is pure fantasy.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Allstate would not renew me this year unless I added my car to the policy. Had no loses with them last (and first) year.

Problem was they want $1k for my 13 explorer with collison, I pay 500 per year for my car now for same coverage. Not sure what I will do haven't found anyone else to do my bus for upcoming summer travels. Might have to add my car....

Add you car before your "cancel date" or you may find yourself in the same nightmare I am experiencing.
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:06 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: El Dorado National
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 25 passenger
We have allstate for our bus. Our agent Jennifer made sure to go over everything especially the part about suggesting road side assistance for the big red tomato (nick name for our bus- she's faded red r.n.).. they offer 2 options for road side assistance. Take the more expensive one. The cheaper one doesn't cover dittly crap.
brinleyinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:47 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Here in NH the DMV doesn't require insurance to register any vehicle as long as the owners driving privilege's are in good standing.

I don't think it's a good policy, as there are many low life characters running around uninsured that could care less if they get into an at fault accident, or the repercussions for others involved.

Having said that, if one is involved in an accident and is deemed to be "at fault" causing the accident, they are liable for the vehicle damages and medical bills for anyone they hurt.
Most folks running the roads without insurance haven't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out, so actually collecting any money from some careless uninsured motorist is pure fantasy.
You keep saying that like it means you don't need any form of insurance in N.H.. This is not true, if you don't have insurance you have to provide Financial responsibility by having money set aside in an escrow account or a bond.