Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Allstate Insurance for Skoolies FYI

Hi Everyone,

I was able to insure my short skoolie with Allstate Insurance. After the policy was approved and paid, a few weeks later they then sent me a cancellation letter, stating that they would cancel my insurance unless I insured all my vehicles with them.

I was unable to complete moving my insurance over to them by the deadline they gave me, which resulted in them canceling my bus insurance.

After successfully moving my other vehicles to Allstate, they now refuse to insure my bus for a minimum of 60 days. WTH kind of policy is that....?

So, I am currently looking for another insurance company.

Beware of this issue when dealing with Allstate Insurance.

Thanks,

Clyn

Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Yep. What part of you did they have in their hands?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
I however didn't have any issues moving 4 cars AND the house over to Allstate while setting up the motorhome insurance on my short bus.

I think it all comes down to how you approach it. If you expect a solo policy, it sounds like you might end up disappointed.

Definitely something to be aware up up front, though. Thanks for making a clear post for posterity. This hopefully will help others later.
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Our insurer, Farm Bureau, also requires that you have at least 1 "regular" vehicle insured with them in order for them to insure RVs and such...but we knew that going in, because my agent informed us before we signed up. I can't speak to your situation, Clyn, but it sounds like your agent didn't do a good job helping keep you informed. I've heard great things about Allstate's support of conversions and skoolies, but it seems like the experience is very dependent upon the agent. Clyn, if you need other options you might look at Farm Bureau, Progressive, and American General (we've used all 3).
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

I use American General and only have the Bluebird with them and I have not had any problems with them. State Farm my insurer for my other wheels was a no go. Same with Progressive. Lets just hope they don't start following the skoolie fourms.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Make no mistake about insurance companies reading the bus forums. They are always on the move.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
National General didn’t require me to insure other vehicles through them. They wanted me to. One requirement the did have was that I owned another vehicle.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
Skoolie

Needless to.say, I am not very happy about the Allsfate situation. Having both my daily drivers insured with Allstafe has pretty much doubled my insurance. If the bus is added back in 60 days, my total yearly cost will almost triple. While I don"t mind spending the extra money, it is a pretty lousy way of conducting business and certainly has screwed up my plans to take a trip off island during the Feb school break.

Lol, there is a reason I love my dog more than people somedays.

Clyn
Old 01-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #9
Skoolie

I will check out the companies hou mentioned. I have no problem letting my wallet speak on my behalf
Old 03-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
Skoolie

Update to original post....

So after following up with Kelly Newsome, I followed her advice to re-start the policy a week before my 60-days was up. Everything was all set, and then after chasing the (local) agent around, he informed me that All State was now refusing to insure my bus because the original policy was canceled.

While Kelly was helpful with other suggestions, the bottom line right now is that I am in 'Finding Insurance Hell".
Old 03-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #11

Year: 2002
Coachwork: GMC/Thomas
Engine: 6.5l Tiurbo Deisel
Many years ago, Allstate did the same thing to my boat insurance policy. Long story short, they cancelled me because I didn't have a survey (an inspection) so I got a survey; hundreds of dollars of survey. When I took it to my agent to get my insurance back, they wouldn't insure me because I wasn't currently insured. Damn 'em.
Keelbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:13 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'll throw a plug in here for State Farm Insurance, because, well, they are the best. At least if you have a clean record, their rates are good. They are good with claims. My "RV" is insured by them.
I didn't realize I had full coverage on the thing while I was building it for 11 months. I told then to change it to just liability. They changed the rates, back dated to the beginning of the policy and refunded the difference. I said now add full coverage to my Miata. They said if we do that we have to go back and backdate the policy, or you can wait till next month when you reup and add it then. What other company looks out for you like that?
Old 03-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I use American General and only have the Bluebird with them and I have not had any problems with them. State Farm my insurer for my other wheels was a no go. Same with Progressive. Lets just hope they don't start following the skoolie fourms.
this is what is weird about insurance as we have progressive while we are building it. full coverage. i think most of our insurance issues are actually the agent as one will do it while another wont. instead of trying other companys try other agents
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Lets not forget the State you live in also gets involved too. And as most things go when the government gets involved it is a mess. Run by incompetent fools. When I moved to NM I had state farm car insurance but it was state farm of CA and they were not an approved insurance company for NM. So I had to get State farm of AZ. It is approved for NM. Rates were higher too. They told me it was because of all the drunk drivers. At the time DUI was enforced by the Fish and Game Dept. and they ran it like their wild rivers trout fishing program. Catch and release. They have since learned how to have and run DUI "schools" to rehabilitate DUI drivers. These "schools" are run by their connected buddies and family members.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #15
Skoolie

Highly frustrating and most disappointing that I am still unable to find insurance. Seriously contemplating selling my little bus and moving on to a new Pro Master...certainly would be less hassle in getting insurance. Feeling really down in the dumps about it.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
My Allstate policy started today. I went through Kelly and she hooked me up with her Michigan contact. $350 a year

2002 Freightliner FS65 30’
2mchprssr is offline   Reply With Quote