Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
Another glowing recommendation for Kelly Newsome

We got our bus a year ago and had to scrape together whatever insurance we could. Wound up getting the basic liability rates at $650 annual. Decided to start looking around for other options and reached out to Kelly Newsome (352-326-9300) from several posts here. She put together a quote for me at $473 for increased liability from the original National General coverage.

I figured, it's better coverage at lower rate, so let's rock with it. Kelly transferred me to a local agent for the company who got everything rolling and requested I send her my proof of insurance from NG. She called me back to make the annual payment, and the premium was now $273, because she was looking through my NG coverage, noticed I was married (wife was included on NG, but not with Kelly because my wife isn't wanting to drive the bus) which apparently slashed my annual premium.

So let this be another testimony that Kelly is still going strong and is still helpful!

Old 03-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Take your wife out to dinner -- apparently she's worth it!

No, seriously -- take your wife out to dinner!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Skoolie

Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Take your wife out to dinner -- apparently she's worth it!

No, seriously -- take your wife out to dinner!
That's the exact recommendation that the local agent had for me!

I'm taking my wife to dinner and a play this evening. Then, we have an incredibly expensive lunch planned for Monday.

I figure I can call it all "her being worth it"!
Old 09-06-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I'm purchasing a 1996 International Series 3000 Genesis school bus this weekend and have contacted Kelly Newsome's office (352-326-9300) per the many recommendations. Just to update the thread with their newest policies as of 11/6/22:

They send you a basic form to fill out that requires information on the bus, where you live, personal info, etc. They require pictures of all 4 sides of the bus, the top (to ensure no roof deck), and the inside.

The 4 things that disqualify you are:
1. Roof raise
2. Rooftop deck
3. Wood burning stove
4. Business signage

I have not gotten a quote yet so unable to provide info there -- sorry!
twizxup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Did she say why a roof raise is a disqualifier?
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
Did she say why a roof raise is a disqualifier?
Typo - I meant to say 9/6/22*. However she did not say why a roof raise specifically is a disqualifier, and I didn't dig deeper as I decided to go with another agency. Apologies. I imagine it has to do with insuring peoples' DIY projects that alters the frame/structure of the bus, when those people may or may not know what they're doing.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizxup View Post
Typo - I meant to say 9/6/22*. However she did not say why a roof raise specifically is a disqualifier, and I didn't dig deeper as I decided to go with another agency. Apologies. I imagine it has to do with insuring peoples' DIY projects that alters the frame/structure of the bus, when those people may or may not know what they're doing.
No worries, appreciate it. It's a concern to me because I have to raise to do what I want and if I can't raise and insure I have to figure something else out.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
No worries, appreciate it. It's a concern to me because I have to raise to do what I want and if I can't raise and insure I have to figure something else out.
I'm in the same boat. The advice I've been given (not endorsing it but seems to be the only way around it) is to find an agency that is unfamiliar with insuring skoolies, and have it insured before installing any of the alterations. For example: buy a normal school bus, insure it (they will require pictures of the bus, at which point it is a normal yellow school bus so they'll have no problem), and then do your roof raise, etc. I suspect if you do the roof raise first, it will be difficult to find an agency to insure it.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:36 PM   #9
Bus Nut

The problem with that is the insurance company will happily take your money for years, just to void your policy for an unauthorized modification in the event of an accident. It's better to be insured as a bus raise than to let the insurance company discover it when they have to write a check.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:36 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If you get insurance with a non-raised bus and then raise it, you might end up with a policy in force but they're unlikely to ever pay off on a claim against it. My policy (RV liability-only with Allstate, originally thanks to Kelly Awesome nee Newsome who connected me with my agent in PA) specifically states "undisclosed risk" as grounds for annulment of the policy. With annulment you at least get all premiums paid returned to you, but not a penny towards any claim.

My bet is that my floor rebuild might also disqualify me from coverage, but it's certainly not as obvious as a roof raise and it was arguably just a repair rather than a vehicle modification.

Is Kelly Newsome still repping Allstate? I thought I'd read that she had switched to State Farm.