Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i haven't watched the videos, i am sure they are bad, for all the comments.

however,

if you havent considered / designed / tried a suicide cord in your own build, how can you call yourself a skoolie? we are the diy'ers

Old 02-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i haven't watched the videos, i am sure they are bad, for all the comments.

however,

if you havent considered / designed / tried a suicide cord in your own build, how can you call yourself a skoolie? we are the diy'ers
I'm terrified of electricity and wouldn't touch anything called a suicide cord, bud! lol

For the folks spending big money on these builds I'd heartily suggest buying a top of the line $85k wanderlodge. You get a series 60 and no shoddy work was ever done on it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Hey, speaking of Wanderlodges, we haven't seen much posted on yours lately.
What gives???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm terrified of electricity and wouldn't touch anything called a suicide cord, bud! lol

lolol, well, you got something to live for now. congratulations on your new son!

we design those attachments into what we need, because its the obvious missing link. we find out after the fact, why they are suicide cords. j/s

safety is expensive
Old 02-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Hey, speaking of Wanderlodges, we haven't seen much posted on yours lately.
What gives???
I've had a lot of non bus stuff to deal with in the last couple years. Now I've got a baby boy coming home today!
The wanderlodge will be getting some love later this year early next year.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Congrats on your new baby. And also to your partner that bore the baby!

I guess the Wanderlodge RV is like an investment, in that it really loses no value in keeping it parked.
Unless your 17 year old son decides to throw a party for his friends in it!

Ask me how I know that...
Old 02-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Here's a Lone Star Skoolie for sale and sadly the lady is selling partially because she doesn't trust the build.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:29 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its not really about how bad or dangerous a suicide cable is.. its really about the fact a supposedly Pro company sold one to a consumer who likely has no idea the "proper" way to use it..

if its thought of like an extension cord.. then watch people at home.. 9 times out of 10 they plug the cord into the outlet, stretch it and then plug in their tool.. the same would likely happeb with the RV.. theyd go plug it into the Pole first (Ouch!) abd then go plug it into the bus.. yeoow!! if they picked it up wrong or it was resting wrong..

when I was growing up, dad made such a cord when the blizzard of 78 struck.. we had a genset but hadnt been properly hooked to the house.. the cord he made kept our gas furnace on.. but really i never saw it after that storm.. im guessing it was thrown away... buth e knew what he was doing with said cord..

I guess i dont get it.. why people would pay 75k for a pre made skoolie vs go buy a couple year old motorhome. . I guess they dont want the sticks N staples build..

but theres a reason true professional coach builds are million bucks plus...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeline View Post
Here's a Lone Star Skoolie for sale and sadly the lady is selling partially because she doesn't trust the build.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post
That's Laura, a retired art teacher who wanted to travel in the bus with her grandchildren. It's up in the Chicago area. She had to have the bus towed from Texas to Illinois and, since then, she's had about $11K in work done on the engine. I've reviewed the work orders and receipts, done by Rush Truck Center, and it sounds like she's now got a sound vehicle...except that the electrical and plumbing are complete ****, typical of Lone Star Skoolie. When she tried to start it, recently, it wouldn't start (despite being driven from Rush to its current parking location). It was cold, though, and I'm sure the tank's full of Texas non-winterized diesel.

I will gladly extend the same "two days of free labor to help make the electrical safe" offer to anyone who buys her bus.

I was actually booked to fly to Laura and drive her bus back to AZ...but LSS wounded her and her trust so badly that she was worried about getting scammed again. I get it...no hard feelings...it's like someone after an abusive relationship. I just feel bad that she wants nothing to do with her dream, even if we could make it safe for her.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:02 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

She, no doubt, has likely figured out that it will now cost more to redo the faulty equipment than the bus is worth.
Especially IF? she had $75k invested at the crooked establishment...?

For what it's worth, and I'm not trying to defend the entity in focus, her bus looks relatively together compared to those others posted up.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:03 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
So that build which looks so nice in the future I’ve of the green bus is shoddy?

Looks like a great build and if rush did engine work it’s probably top notch, the rush center near me isn’t cheap but they do solid quality work and stand behind it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
... if rush did engine work it’s probably top notch, the rush center near me isn’t cheap but they do solid quality work and stand behind it
That's my experience with Rush as well. Definitely not cheap, but their work is usually done right.

For the right person, willing to fix the interior stuff, this might be a decent value.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
For the right person, willing to fix the interior stuff, this might be a decent value.
Agree. Sounds/looks like a good entry point for someone that can do the work themselves.
Especially if all of the major$$ electrical components are there already, and just need rewired.
Same goes with plumbing...
Old 02-19-2022, 10:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
That's my experience with Rush as well. Definitely not cheap, but their work is usually done right.

From her pictures it looks like the 30A connection might be correct on this one. Odd that it is different from the other 2 recent ones.
Whitewatervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:39 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Congrats on your new baby. And also to your partner that bore the baby!

I guess the Wanderlodge RV is like an investment, in that it really loses no value in keeping it parked.
Unless your 17 year old son decides to throw a party for his friends in it!

Ask me how I know that...
Thanks!!
yeah Roxy had the hard part for sure.

Wanderlodge is always a good investment. Will always be able to get insurance and they're built like a tank! I could never build one as good as BB did with the Wanderlodges!
Old 02-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
This is interesting...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZZ0Z58O1GK/

"Now that 2022 has begun, we here at Lonestar Skoolie have been focusing on a variety of actions we can take to improve because making positive progress is always our goal! One of the first areas we wanted to focus on is taking our safety standards to the next level. Your safety is always a priority for us, so the Lonestar Skoolie team will be bringing in third party inspectors to ensure your electric, plumbing, and air conditioning systems are all in tip top shape before you hit the road. Additionally, we are upgrading our national warranty to licensed professionals in every state on site. 2022 is going to be our best year yet, and we can not wait to show you what else we have in store going forward!"

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
This is interesting...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZZ0Z58O1GK/

"Now that 2022 has begun, we here at Lonestar Skoolie have been focusing on a variety of actions we can take to improve because making positive progress is always our goal! One of the first areas we wanted to focus on is taking our safety standards to the next level. Your safety is always a priority for us, so the Lonestar Skoolie team will be bringing in third party inspectors to ensure your electric, plumbing, and air conditioning systems are all in tip top shape before you hit the road. Additionally, we are upgrading our national warranty to licensed professionals in every state on site. 2022 is going to be our best year yet, and we can not wait to show you what else we have in store going forward!"
I've done all I can to contribute to making their misdeed as viral as possible withing the community. Lets all get on this and name and shame them out of 2022!!!!
Old 02-20-2022, 04:07 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
Are these guys so easily going to find **credible** "3rd party inspectors" willing to sign off on their work? I wonder. It could just be a dog and pony / distraction, but it could also be them hearing the backlash.

I'm also curious as to the opinion of other skoolieites:
**If** this is them getting the message, and genuinely looking to improve their processes, is there any redemption to be had here?

Generally I judge someone by their actions/behavior, and if theirs improves, at least that's a step in the right direction. Separately from any improvements, if they achieve a passable result, I think I'd be willing to change my mind. If you're not willing to do that, your criticisms would ring hollow and there's no reason for them to engage or change their behavior.

I say:
  • Remain skeptical, continue to hold their feet to the fire
  • Praise the effort- if for no other reason, to incentivize it
  • Wait and see if they deliver.
If they don't deliver, you just have another bullet point showing how terrible they are, the lengths they'll go to conceal their bad behavior, etc.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I'm also curious as to the opinion of other skoolieites:
**If** this is them getting the message, and genuinely looking to improve their processes, is there any redemption to be had here?

Anyone can change if they want to.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Again, not defending them but the folks that pulled the plug on the shop working on their busses before they were officially finished, might have waited a little longer until they finished their work.

It might have turned out differently, who knows???

On the other hand, it seems they acknowledge some shady work by them in the past by now calling in "third party inspectors" to review their work...?

Subscribed to watch the drama going forward, unfold...