Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I got approached a couple times from different used-bus dealers about being their right-hand A/C man.. apparently A/C is requiested a lot on the secondary market these days.. not so much for skoolies (thanks to skoolies ive gotten a ton of free A/C system parts).. but for church busses, secondary market schools, small transportation companies, etc..

but id have fired myself long ago.. I take way too damn long to do an A/C job.. probably spend way too much time engineering out the specifics, and over-thinking whether it will stress the electrical system, engine,. etc and will it turn a bus into a walk-in cooler or just the inside of a starbucks...

not to mention im sure for a licensed electrician, plumber, HVAC guy, etc that doing jobs in commerical buildings and even residential probably pays a lot better than any skoolie compamny would pay them..

I know for me Telecom and software Dev pay a lot better than Bus A/C..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I gave some serious thought to doing electrical work on skoolies after I retire but....I don't want to be "the last one out the door". There are stores I refuse work on for that very reason
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:28 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I'm totally speaking out of my rear here, but it seems like this type of business - even if done 'right' - would open you up to a world of legal liability. Doesn't even matter what you got the customers to sign... your work is a potential hazard to everyone on the road. You're not very far at all, conceptually speaking, from assuming the role (and requisite responsibilities) of an automobile manufacturer. I'd think a serious attempt at this business would likely require serious legal fees, further cutting into what likely would be a pretty thin profit margin even on the good days.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:40 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: Mercedes Benz
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Them or someone affiliated with them came on here years ago and actually laughed about my friend dying of cancer.
That’s just terrible!! And then you see on their instagrams messages about being good to others and spreading positivity… Need to find the right way to expose these people for what they are.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:23 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I'm totally speaking out of my rear here, but it seems like this type of business - even if done 'right' - would open you up to a world of legal liability. Doesn't even matter what you got the customers to sign... your work is a potential hazard to everyone on the road. You're not very far at all, conceptually speaking, from assuming the role (and requisite responsibilities) of an automobile manufacturer. I'd think a serious attempt at this business would likely require serious legal fees, further cutting into what likely would be a pretty thin profit margin even on the good days.

Look up Chuck cassidy on YouTube. He mentioned in one of his videos how outrageous his insurance is for doing proper conversions.

I run a party bus business. I build out our own buses and have done a random party bus conversion for others. I asked my insurance agent about it once assuming our general liability covered us. He told me we were covered for our own buses but absolutely not for doing others. Said a manufacturers policy was going to be required for that and significantly more expensive.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Thanks for the knowledge-drop, Dbacks. I appreciate the insight

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
And then you see on their instagrams messages about being good to others and spreading positivity.
Whenever a businessman tells me he's just doing what he's doing to "help people," I reach to my back pocket to make sure my wallet is still there. Or as William S. Burroughs put it: "Beware of whores who say they don't want money. What they mean is, they want more money - much more."