Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Another paint thread...

Hello Conversion Gods,

I'm approaching the point of painting my bus. Rust-Oleum is definitely a favorite here, but my HD isn't able to tint it with any degree of accuracy and my girlfriend and I want a particular color.

We visited Benjamin Moore and the folks there recommended the Rust Scat Polyurethane paint: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/...nado-rust-scat

I asked for oil-based enamel paint and this is what I got.

Any experience using this paint? Is it OK to use their paint but the primer from Rust-Oleum or should I stick to the same line (Rust-O is cheaper)?

cilantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
One thing I learned along the way is that Technical Data Sheets arent just for geeks.

Manufacturers test their products together and that usually provides some reassurance that what you use isn’t going to spall off in the next heat wave or leave a colorful puddle the next time it rains.

I joke a little but have you ever seen those cars with sheets of paint missing from the primer?

Here’s a thing about primer: unless the paint application is done within a specific window, it needs to be sanded again in order to promote adhesion. I’d sure hate to sand twice.

What makes you think you need to prime? I did, but I’m betting I could have done without and I was in a paint booth where doing wet-on-wet application was possible
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
One thing I learned along the way is that Technical Data Sheets arent just for geeks.

Manufacturers test their products together and that usually provides some reassurance that what you use isn’t going to spall off in the next heat wave or leave a colorful puddle the next time it rains.

I joke a little but have you ever seen those cars with sheets of paint missing from the primer?

Here’s a thing about primer: unless the paint application is done within a specific window, it needs to be sanded again in order to promote adhesion. I’d sure hate to sand twice.

What makes you think you need to prime? I did, but I’m betting I could have done without and I was in a paint booth where doing wet-on-wet application was possible
Uhh good question, can paint be applied directly onto clear coat? The paint suggested does say it can be applied direct to metal, not sure about clear coat.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I'm not a paint expert.....You do not need to sand to bare metal, just sand enough so that the surface is dull. Then thoroughly clean before applying the new paint. A successful paint job is 80% surface prep.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by cilantro View Post
Uhh good question, can paint be applied directly onto clear coat? The paint suggested does say it can be applied direct to metal, not sure about clear coat.
Here’s the TDS

https://media.benjaminmoore.com/WebS..._31_TDS_US.pdf

It’s pretty light on detail. With the exception of bare metal requiring primer, previously painted surfaces are only i“as needed”, I would call their tech support and tell them what you want to do. Get specifics.

I would say you definitely want to sand through the clear with 320 grit on an orbital sander. Don’t remove the base coat.

Anyway, give them a call 1-866-708-9180,
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Here’s the TDS

https://media.benjaminmoore.com/WebS..._31_TDS_US.pdf

It’s pretty light on detail. With the exception of bare metal requiring primer, previously painted surfaces are only i“as needed”, I would call their tech support and tell them what you want to do. Get specifics.

I would say you definitely want to sand through the clear with 320 grit on an orbital sander. Don’t remove the base coat.

Anyway, give them a call 1-866-708-9180,
Good tip. Thanks!