Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #21
Skoolie

I installed a "Grizzly" last fall in a 40' well insulated bus. It does a good job of heating in fall weather but there is no way it would keep the bus warm in winter temps. I feel like its output is comparable to my 2 brick propane heater and I think its about 12,000 btu. Its a cute stove and love having the glass front. I burn hardwood flooring scraps from my friend's wood flooring plant and can get about 2 hours burn time from it. When you get a nice bed of coals you can open the door and roast hot dogs, make smores, ect with it, the grand kids love that when we are camping and the weather is bad outside and we cant have a campfire. Ended up using the Cubic Mini double wall stove pipe, used a pellet stove thimble on the ceiling where the pipe goes straight up through the roof with a silicone flashing on the exterior of the roof. I haven't put a cap on it so far but I have a can that fits snugly over it if I want to close it off. I tried cobbling together some double wall pellet stove pipe and running it through a window on a 45 degree angle but had too many problems with creosote so I bit the bullet and bought the stainless pipe thats made for it and that works a lot better. If you really need the heat output for winter temps I think you would want a stove that handles 18 inch logs so you have the btu's and longer burn times.

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #22
Skoolie

Here's a few pics of my install and the wood scraps I burn. I have a heat powered fan that I sit on the top, helps move the heat around pretty good. I have no heat shielding around the stove. The double wall pipe really does a good job of containing the heat even though its pretty close to the upper cabinets. I can have a roaring fire going for several hours and the cabinet barely feels warm to the touch, infrared temp gun shows 85-90 degrees on the upper cabinet. The front wheel wells have tables on them and I had a piece of granite left over from the kitchen cabinets in the house and I put it down on the table and the stove sits on it, works good. I wonder how much heat I lose up the chimney because of the double wall pipe, also the stove itself has fireboard all around it on the inside, insulation as they call it on the cubic website. Not sure why it needs more than just the bottom insulated, how much more heat would it give off if all the insulation but the bottom was removed? Right now just the top and door is the only thing exposed to the actual fire. I might try removing everything but the bottom and see if it puts out more heat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6297.JPG   IMG_6295.JPG   IMG_6296.JPG   IMG_6298.JPG   IMG_6299.JPG  

IMG_6294.JPG  
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
Thanks for sharing.

So out of the blue I searched cubic mini on fb marketplace and found on 3 hrs from where I live. Amazing. Only been used 1 season. Came with the rear heat shield. 3 pieces of double wall pipe. The little toolkit. And some starter logs. Drumroll... all for 300 bucks! Super excited
MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
Which size eco fan did you go with?
MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote