Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Any Info!

New to this forum. Really would like to start my build within the next year. My girl friend and I really would like to live on this for a year or so once we graduate and drive around the country. What would be a good size Bus to look for? (make,model,engine, etc) What should i look for what should i stay away from? I would like to somehow store my motorcycle (Harley Sportster) in it somehow. But I want to stay away from the huge buses is there a good in between size? Are their any good programs free or cheap that i could mess around with a design? thats not to complicated? Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Dakota123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Welcome to the forum! I would encourage you to search around and you'll find a lot of useful info to answer some of those question. A lot of it will depend on your plans and your preferences, which is the great part about skoolies! I know others will chime in with great insight and advice. Im partial to international motlrs (espcially the non-computer dt466) and bluebird bodies, but Thomas makes a good bus, too. Carpenters are unique though sometimes can be more prone to rust in my experience. A Crown is an awesome bus, but pretty different from a typical schoolie and more rare. I would recommend either a rear-engine bus or a conventional engine bus with a hood. The front engined, cab-over style is a pita to work on, again, this is in my opinion. Look for a rust-free bus if you can. Dealing with extensive rust issues will ruin your day snd wallet. And, generally, a bus that looks rusty before you strip out and of the floor/walls etc will only look worse under all that. There are many other useful options and points to consider but its time for me to go work on mine!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info! I will continue to do some searching around
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Also, there are many sizes of bus out there, from 20 foot shorties all the way up to 40 foot beasts and everything in between. I'd say something in the 30-35' world would be best for you. There are many in this size that are the cab-over type, which is just a prime example of the kind of trade-offs there are to make!
Best of luck out there!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Also, there are many sizes of bus out there, from 20 foot shorties all the way up to 40 foot beasts and everything in between. I'd say something in the 30-35' world would be best for you. There are many in this size that are the cab-over type, which is just a prime example of the kind of trade-offs there are to make!
Best of luck out there!
What are the 30-35' busses called? I feel like the "shorty section" forum all them look way to small
Old 02-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
I would defiantly go with a front engine. You sacrifice in every decision you make, but I have one requirement that is like yours, a place to but my bike. With a front engine, you get a rear emergency door, it's plenty wide enough to ride a street bike right into the bus, anything smaller than a touring bike will generally fit, and a sportster, even with saddle bags will be no problem. I'm raising th eroof on mine 18 inches, which will make it easier to ride it in without even ducking. But if you don't wantto go that route, just be ready to duck. Get a ramp from a scrap moving van with similar deck height and fix a rack underneath the bus to store it in. I'm fixing the back room to convert into the "master" bed room once the bikes (yeah two of them) are unloaded,so it can be dual purpose.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I would defiantly go with a front engine. You sacrifice in every decision you make, but I have one requirement that is like yours, a place to but my bike. With a front engine, you get a rear emergency door, it's plenty wide enough to ride a street bike right into the bus, anything smaller than a touring bike will generally fit, and a sportster, even with saddle bags will be no problem. I'm raising th eroof on mine 18 inches, which will make it easier to ride it in without even ducking. But if you don't wantto go that route, just be ready to duck. Get a ramp from a scrap moving van with similar deck height and fix a rack underneath the bus to store it in. I'm fixing the back room to convert into the "master" bed room once the bikes (yeah two of them) are unloaded,so it can be dual purpose.
Sounds like front engine it is. I can't go anywhere without my bike haha I Like the look of those front engine bus's anyways a lot better. I wouldn't have the funds to raise the roof i already know that. What i worry about though is leaving my bike outside while I'm inside sleeping... So id somehow want to maybe have a storage place for it right behind the bed. on average whats the width of a bus?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Skoolie

Interior width of school bus is typically 7 1/2 feet. Getting a bike turned to utilize the width is another matter. However that brings another thought to mind, look into a bus with a wheelchair lift at the back. Remove the lift and use the side door for your bike. The buss would be a little move expensive, but you might be able to sell the lift to recoup some of the extra expense.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thats exactly what i was thinking either making a side door or buying one with a side door at the back already there.

Also kind of a random question. but say i were to live on this thing for a year or so. Where the hell do you do your laundry? haha
Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

something like this and cutting a back side door for the bike would be rad. Just sucks its not diesel
http://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/4837426502.html

Is their a market at all for seats that you take out?
Old 02-09-2015, 03:32 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota123 View Post
something like this and cutting a back side door for the bike would be rad. Just sucks its not diesel
http://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/4837426502.html

Is their a market at all for seats that you take out?
Not much market for them.
I gave mine to some really poor scrapper guys. They got about $50 for the metal.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 AM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Not much market for them.
I gave mine to some really poor scrapper guys. They got about $50 for the metal.
There was someone on the forum looking for the stuffing. I forgot who and I can't find the page. I'm sure the stuffing in those seats could be useful to someone. After all "one man's trash is another man's treasure".
Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 AM   #13
Bus Geek

The "stuffing" from mine was absolutely gross.
The best two were salvaged for our three legged dog though.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota123 View Post
Thats exactly what i was thinking either making a side door or buying one with a side door at the back already there.

Also kind of a random question. but say i were to live on this thing for a year or so. Where the hell do you do your laundry? haha

If your going for a shorter bus, I would do laundry at a laundry mat and not worry about the water, electricity, and space needed to do it on-board. If you go with at least a 30 footer and are either hooked up to utilities or have the capacity, look into an apartment washer dryer combo. they are small and efficient.

http://www.hhgregg.com/frigidaire-st...tem/FFLE1011MW

Or even a 2-1 unit

http://www.lowes.com/pd_432721-13247...r|1&facetInfo=
Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #15
Bus Geek

I actually like the 2-1 units. They are in kitchens all over the world. To us here in the states, they seem odd.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 AM   #16
Almost There

When I was on the road. I would either wash laundry in a creek(using biodegradable soap) and hang it to dry on a nylon clothesline I'd hang from a couple trees or wash my clothes at a laundromat and then dry them on said clothes line. That is if it was in the summer. Winter(and colder seasons in general) I would just hit a laundromat for wash and dry.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Back to the bikes inside.. Think about the fact that you will be sleeping in a small contained space with gasoline fumes. There is also the matter of power and any sparks. Space heaters, kitchen stove, toaster etc. might not go well and you should think about an sensor for fumes and a way to ventilate the area where the bike is. I sound like mother hen but staying alive is important and we don't want to loose any skoolies.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
Skoolie

That's why I suggested at least a 30 footer. You could then wall off the rear just for the bike. A CO2 sensor is a must for any RV, I don't know if they make a sensor for gas fumes.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #19
Bus Geek

I'd build it a "garage" somewhere back there.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Back to the bikes inside.. Think about the fact that you will be sleeping in a small contained space with gasoline fumes. There is also the matter of power and any sparks. Space heaters, kitchen stove, toaster etc. might not go well and you should think about an sensor for fumes and a way to ventilate the area where the bike is. I sound like mother hen but staying alive is important and we don't want to loose any skoolies.

Like outcast said i planned on walling off the back end of the bus just enough to fit the bike and maybe just have a rooftop ventilation back there. The monoxide sensor i was definitely going to get though! Ive been looking at buses and the 8 window busses ive seen seem perfect.