Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Anybody know if?

Hello! Does anybody know of any auctions possibly going on in Florida like right away preferably? I had originally planned to purchase an already converted bus, BUT I decided nah, i'd rather build it even though I have no tools and hardly a place to put it. But whatever I'm still gonna try. Well as of yesterday I received a phone call basically saying that my landlord never received my rent 2 weeks after the fact. So after TOO MANY calls to the post office and amscot trying to see where the my $850 dollar money order is I pretty much got yeah we don't know and can't help you. So we are possibly being evicted over literally paying thin air basically and I kind of need to find a bus IMMEDIATELY and for cheap. Because I will have no place to live. and i'm not giving over my only money i have for the bus as rent again because the post office lost my letter, and amscot refuses to refund. They just get to keep it basically is what we are getting out of them so far.
=( so yeah any information, or just buses for sale in general would be nice, I've only got 2k to work with including tag and titling it so that's why im looking at an auction preferably. Thanks for any and all help =)

ziemy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
I suppose you saw this:
Motorhome Camper RV Bus conversion diesel
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I wouldn't give up $850 that easy myself. Do you have the stub/receipt thingy from the M.O.? Did you put a name on the M.O. ?

I would be Amscot's worst nightmare if it was me.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

Too true...Amscot can adjust their policy any way they need to relieve themselves of a thorn.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

yes see that is the problem. Our landlord didn't bother to tell us she hadn't received it until yesterday. So no we don't have the little stub anymore and without that there's basically no proof because they don't take any information from you and they didn't "address" it to our landlord we wrote it out ourselves. The post office just basically is like nothing we can do it will show up or it wont. Soo yea. as of right now we've made enough stink with amscot that there doing an "investigation" and we wont hear back for 30 days because that's supposedly how long it takes to do it. which I believe to be nonsense we gave them the exact date it was purchased at the exact location, the exact amount and a 2 hour time frame it was purchased in. Either way my landlord isn't waiting another month for possible rent assuming they even refund it which takes longer to receive the refund. In other words basically S.O.L either way even if we do get it back. '-_-
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Next time get the money order from the Post Office they were $3.00 for the last one
I bought in $2500.00 amount and they are backed by silver. If you go the international
version they are backed by gold.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The big problem with Florida buses is that dealers and other folks have this idea that they are superior to other states in some way, which in my opinion they certainly are not.
This demand drives up the price a bit. Lots of exporters here too.
I went 1600 miles round trip for my bus.
There are credit unions that will give you a free or low cost checking account here in Fl. Insight is a good one.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
Government Surplus Auctions - GovDeals.com

Public Surplus: Government Surplus Auctions

These are two of the biggest public auctions, and you can often find some good deals. Time may be a factor.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Skoolie

"...there doing an "investigation" and we wont hear back for 30 days because that's supposedly how long it takes to do it. which I believe to be nonsense..."

Agreed...nonsense. I am also from the southeast and, speaking for myself at least, I find I really have to suspend my learned tendency to 'be nice' and really become a royal pain (this is a company not a person...regardless of what the supreme court says).

So, that leads me to...don't stop calling them during those 30 days. Neither of us believe it takes that long so keep calling (every other or 3rd day perhaps) and when you call, keep them on the phone for several minutes (as long as you can) because you really want them to feel the inconvenience...someone will move to keep you from calling back and spending more company time. After a few calls, start asking to be connected up the food chain....that's usually motivational.

Nowadays, I've found this strategy requires particular persistence because the actual person you reach doesn't own the company and may not be sensitive to 'wasting time' but they will respond to being annoyed by your unrelenting, however polite, demand that they do something.

One way to look at it is...if they're gonna keep your money....they might as well earn it (by 'tolerating' and 'processing' phone calls from their customers).

Also, good luck on the bus. 'Baptism by fire' is never the easiest route.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Don't know if your "ship has sailed" but did you receive a 3-day notice? I'm a landlord, and here in CT we're required to give a 3-day notice-to-pay before starting an eviction. If the tenant pays up, we can't evict. I just checked and it looks like Florida does, too. Although I'm just a one-place guy and I've never used that clause... I prefer to work with somebody than have the place sitting empty.

Once you get that notice, if you don't pay within 3 days they can start the eviction process, but even that usually takes 30 days.

Did you save a receipt from the money order? Without it it's just your word against theirs, and landlords don't lie about receiving rent checks. Evictions are painful, can be costly, tenants move out grumpy and damage things beyond what security covers, and then you have an empty unit not helping you cover your mortgage. If you have the receipt and it's for an amount that matches past rent checks then you can fight the eviction. You have to be served an eviction notice and there are usually instructions with it on how to defend yourself, but plenty of online Web sites to poke through as well.

Or you can just say, f-it, this is the kick in the pants you needed to go build your Skoolie!
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Somewhere to park it is going to be important if you get one. Find that before buying one.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Wink

lol thank you for all the information, well sort of luckily our roommate had just enough in savings to cover paying her AGAIN which really sucks cus if this whole "amscot investigation" thing doesn't work out I'm just out between me and my other half $566 which sucks. We live very pay check to paycheck so that's like basically just impossible to get back money. BUT I don't plan on letting amscot just so easily say they can't "find" our $850. When we know the date, the time, the exact person who did the money order, and obviously location. Not to mention you can't tell me you can't prove we paid for it when there is about 50 cameras everywhere in amscot. So they can try but I will not settle so easily. Unfortunately, no we don't have the little tab that is the receipt, it's murphys law you know? have kept all of them but this one got misplaced. either way though even if we don't get the money back atleast where not evicted and in dealing with a whole other mess of problems. So more time to research and find the bus i wanna start!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

yes, my mom has agreed as long as i create a temporary fence that I can park it at her place, Casselberry's "code enforcement" will try to fine her if they can technically see it from the road. But if it's behind a fence they can't really say anything.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
Bus Geek

If you need any electrical help in Casselberry I have a buddy over there who works cheap. Cheap as in- buy him a twelve pack of beer.
He's right behind the Hess down from Rachel's.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

wow that'd be awesome! I am a bit concerned to try and do electric myself lol =P and my moms house is literally a 3 minute drive down the street from there, I could walk to him in like 15 min
Old 03-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Yeah, I'm actually over that way about once every few weeks or so.
My bus is out near apopka in the cow pasture/nursery zone. That auction in Zellwood is pretty close.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

where can i find out about this zellwood auction?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #18
Bus Geek

George Gideon Auctioneers
The cheapest I've heard of a running bus selling here lately is around 5 grand.
I met a lady who said hers was nearly 7k, iirc.
Florida buses are too rich for my blood. There are still deals out there though. Gideons is very pricey and you have to buy the title, tag, and paperwork ALL from them. At inflated prices.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

yeah I've noticed that, well I've got more time to save and look around so I'm just gonna keep browsing and learning in the mean time. but I'll definitly be looking because you never know what you might find =)