Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone ever used the bifold door as camper door ?

I did some serious thinking and measuring of the bifold on my TC2000 tonight.

I'm thinking I can flip the door over to get the cross bar low enough for a handle mount from outside, turn the hinge around so it will work all the way outwards, weld the two door halves solidly together maybe remove the middle hinge and weld a patch over, and put a recessed handle in it. I'd have to build a door sill and frame with seals, but I think it all works.

I have been agonizing ( sort of ) about a door that works from both inside and outside and looks good, but is secure on the road ( safety glass ), and allows me to see when I come to an intersection. I think this will work.

Comments ?

Rick

RichardRWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Anyone ever used the bifold door as camper door ?

Exactly my thoughts. I am going to weld a 1" square tube in between the two door halves, after removing the glass of course, as well as flip the hinge around. My plan is to also use the rubber seal on the front outside of the hinge to cover it, then use a half bulb rubber auto seal for the rest of the door. Only thing I can see that would cause any trouble is the top of the door. Might have to create a place to mount the seal to keep out the weather. Hadnt thought about a lower door sill for sealing up the bottom of the door. But that shouldnt be too hard to do, possibly one from home cheapo or lowes made out of aluminum.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
Skoolie

Mine is now underway.

More can be seen here.
http://www.eggmanih.com/ihbus/doorbuild.html
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Skoolie

Here is the door from the outside in the daylight. It will swing all the way open to the mirrors.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I dove in and modified my door today. I wen the minimalist route for now. I will hopefully get back to it and weld on some smooth sheet metal on the outer surface to replace the middle hinge.

Took me about an hours work to get to this point. I'm on a tight schedule to be able to do some camping this summer. Actually we just spent two nights in the bus this weekend away from home, but no cooking or washroom. Three more weeks and we need to spend a week in it in the woods.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/main.php ... &g2_page=2

Rick
RichardRWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Bus Nut

double posted, delete this one please...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I scrapped the bus door, and installed a Larsen Security Door, it has triple locking mechanism, tempered safety glass with membrane (like front windshields), and is virtually break-in proof...oh and it has full view too!

When I measured the bus door opening and found it to be 32" and then looked around at Lowes and found this door would fit, and the glass and triple locking set-up should meet DOT specs...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote