Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Anyone seen this Skoolie?

Below is a link to a now ended eBay Auction. Hopefully it works. I'm really seriously considering this one. It has 90% of the "hard work" done to make it into what I want. Does anyone know anything about it. It lives in the Charleston, WV area. "Opinions" are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.
Ben.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Anyone seen this Skoolie?

That looks pretty useful.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Skoolie

That's what I'm thinking! Enough room for the family (wife and 5 kids), plus room for all of our junk! Eventually, it will be hauling a horse trailer too! Just gotta come to terms on price and figure out how I'm gonna get there!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I wonder how bouncy the rear end is without the weight of the body to hold it down? You might also do some research on the Intl. 7.3 engine. Of course there will be people out there who will complain about any engine, but this one has a rotary injection pump rather than the more solid Bosch inline pump. It seems to me I've read some negative comments about that engine. I have the 7.3 in my Ford F250 and had to replace the injection pump on mine at 165K. Not sure if the pump that failed was the original or a previous replacement. Also had to replace the whole glow plug system. Not sure if the bus model will have glow plugs or not. Also my engine is loud as hell, especially when cold. I need ear plugs if I'm going to open the hood when it's running and work on it. Lastly, I don't know what you plan to haul, but I would take a look at the support structure underneath a bus before loading really heavy things like vehicles onto it. Sure the chassis frame is built like a truck, but the lateral support is not designed for much weight in my opinion, especially with the added strength of the body cut away. Or maybe the previous owner added additional bracing?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Skoolie

Thanks for the tips. I too had this motor in an F-250...I really liked it, but never really had it long enough for it to break down. I had it long enough to get moved across the state, then sold it a month or so later. I wished I would have been thinking long term and bought a bus then! I read somewhere that there's a fuel additive that you're supposed to use for lubrication of the pump. I read that they fail because of the low sulpher content in the "new" diesel. Whether or not that's true I don't know. You can't believe everything you read on the internet...except here of course!

I never really thought about the ride. If I do end up getting it, I'm sure I'll know after the first 1200 miles to get it home how slowly my wife will kill me. She's on board with this but I didn't think about ride quality when I dreamt this up. Air ride seats for all I guess.

It doesn't look like there's much bracing underneath, other than stock. If I do haul a gooseneck trailer, that weight will be supported on the frame rails. A car or something of that nature might need bracing...good point. I know a guy who'll be able to tell me. I hope that it'll support 3-1600 lbs round bales of hay. That would be my most immediate need.

Thanks again for the comments. Keep 'em coming!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I keep thinking super extended cab HD trailer toter, my dilema is do I use a flat front engine forward to keep the wheelbase and turn radius tight or do I go with a dognose for ease of maintainence and sacrifice the short turn radius. I wold still want to convert it to rv status for licensing, but what a cool pickup / trailer toter without spending 50 grand or more
next dilema is what gooseneck trailer, enclosed car / toy hauler or deluxe living quarters or a combination living quarters/toy box
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 88
Engine: 7.3 international

that is exactly what my plan is. except i have a slightly different idea for the interior. and i'm thinking of starting with a uhaul truck.