Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2024, 11:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Apprehensive

I know a lot here have been have done what we plan on doing, sell everything and live in a bus and travel to new places. My wife and I have talked about the prospect of a nomadic lifestyle for about seven years. We really want to take our two children to see the country and experience different places. About three and a half years ago we bought a bus to make this a reality. In the past year I have really ramped up the build and purchased most of the big items we need but there are a few more big costs involved. Our plan is to get everything done in the next three months and sell our house and go. This where the apprehension sets in, quitting a good job and selling the roof over our head! How many of you have done this? Was it worth it? Or is hindsight 2020?

Tdi-337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:25 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
When our kids were smaller we too dreamed of this (2014) but the fact that we were neck deep in debt and house was not paid for yet, well the dream took another turn.

Now the kids are gone and house is almost paid for we asked ourselves the same thing, should we sell and travel?

Our final answer is that instead of selling we are going to rent the house. The reasoning behind this is that for sure one day we will stop traveling and need a place to plant our old bodies. Renting allows us to make a monthly income while preserving the equity in our home. not only that, with time, the home will increase in value. When it is the time for us to plant our butts back in one place we could either go back to the house, sell it for a new place or continue renting it out and use that rental income to pay for a new home mortgage somewhere else in the world!

No matter how we look at it's a win-win situation for us!

Maybe not the answer you are looking for but since your asking I thought I would share.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:53 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
We're doing more for recreational purposes. We want to travel the country, and up into Canada. I can work remote from the bus so I don't even have to quit my job or take any sick days. I have two mortgages, Home which is close to being paid off, and 30 acres of land which we aren't close to paying off. I plan to do it all while keeping it all. If it turns out that we love living in the bus, we may decide to keep living in it, and rent the house out as EWO1 here is doing, and then we can always park it on our 30 acres when we want a break from traveling and is in range of family etc.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:11 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Homeownership (And/Or?) Recreational Vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdi-337 View Post
I know a lot here have been have done what we plan on doing, sell everything and live in a bus and travel to new places. My wife and I have talked about the prospect of a nomadic lifestyle for about seven years. We really want to take our two children to see the country and experience different places. About three and a half years ago we bought a bus to make this a reality. In the past year I have really ramped up the build and purchased most of the big items we need but there are a few more big costs involved. Our plan is to get everything done in the next three months and sell our house and go. This where the apprehension sets in, quitting a good job and selling the roof over our head! How many of you have done this? Was it worth it? Or is hindsight 2020?
------------------

While I've enjoyed traveling around this country and abroad (without kids). We did not have to sacrifice our homeownership to travel or camp.

Like Niktis, we chose to invest into a secure house, safe land & reliable infrastructure before purchacing a diy recreational vehicle.

Why does traveling spark the idea of selling everything?

Are you Liquidating the family's home to escape its unsustainable debt or does the expenses of traveling exceed the income to pay said mortgage? Does the cashflow also stop while vacationing?

We don't have a mortgage, so No, I would never sell my home or land to go on a trip. No matter the length nor distance. Silly😋. Id be trading our Independence to become Dependent.

Me? I originally wanted to buy an airplane and live the jetsetting lifestyle (whatever that is). But I realized I might have to sell something else I own & give up the lifestyle I know, in exchange for some unknown. I'd likely have to move or live on that ✈airplane, loose my wife, ruin a kid, 'cause I just aint got it like that. So, I bought an old bus to park behind the house. We still travel, but when we return, I always feel like...
...There Is No Place Like Home.

Removing a healthy lifestyle from children, with no way to return them back might be fine. Surely, you've been driving that rig around the tri-state area for years. Probably been camping out in the backyard for three months already. Nobody needed anything from the house yet. Each family member is quite experienced, well aware & socially adjusted, so no surprises & nothing (important) at risk. 🤷
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
------------------

While I've enjoyed traveling around this country and abroad (without kids). We did not have to sacrifice our homeownership to travel or camp.

Like Niktis, we chose to invest into a secure house, safe land & reliable infrastructure before purchacing a diy recreational vehicle.

Why does traveling spark the idea of selling everything?

Are you Liquidating the family's home to escape its unsustainable debt or does the expenses of traveling exceed the income to pay said mortgage? Does the cashflow also stop while vacationing?

We don't have a mortgage, so No, I would never sell my home or land to go on a trip. No matter the length nor distance. Silly😋. Id be trading our Independence to become Dependent.

Me? I originally wanted to buy an airplane and live the jetsetting lifestyle (whatever that is). But I realized I might have to sell something else I own & give up the lifestyle I know, in exchange for some unknown. I'd likely have to move or live on that ✈airplane, loose my wife, ruin a kid, 'cause I just aint got it like that. So, I bought an old bus to park behind the house. We still travel, but when we return, I always feel like...
...There Is No Place Like Home.

Removing a healthy lifestyle from children, with no way to return them back might be fine. Surely, you've been driving that rig around the tri-state area for years. Probably been camping out in the backyard for three months already. Nobody needed anything from the house yet. Each family member is quite experienced, well aware & socially adjusted, so no surprises & nothing (important) at risk. 🤷

then there is me.. I drive my busses all over the place and still stay in hotels 95% of the time.. with my lifestyle of loving to travel i technically could live in a bus and do it well esp with things like starlink out.. but of course the big dilemma is that one of the reasons im succesful in running and maintaining my busses is I have a Garage full of tools.. many chests and cabinets of them.. if i full-timed I would be so short on tools.. a broken transmission would no longer be a "OK lets research, swap/build and upgrade".. it would be a crisis id have to pay someone to fix... doesnt take long to all the sudden make up the difference in what it costs for a year of my cheap mortgage payments and property taxes for the house.. (roomate that lives with me pays me more than what I pay in utilities)..

im not risky enough to just sell it all and take off.. and the idea of having to pay someone to rebuild my engine or transmission or fix my air-conditioning or a broken window or replace metal due to rust. just doesnt jive with me...

I broke one of my busses just a few days ago.. it wouldnt start and the electrical system completely shut down.. it happened on a 14 degree day with snow and at home-base.. so I just left it there.. no worries... came back today with it being sunny, dry and 46.. easy fix laying under the bus on a nice warmer day and not under pressure to fix it.. (the main frame ground had corroded and needed to be re-terminated... ).. then again if i was full-timing I doubt i wouldve been in ohio in the snow in february...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:52 PM   #6

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE300 FLAT NOSE
Engine: 2006 DT466 HT, 260 HP
Rated Cap: 81
May be test the lifestyle first before jumping head first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdi-337 View Post
I am not full time yet but also don't plan on just selling everything off. I have ramped up the number of days away with my average lately being 80 nights annually. This was done using a fifth wheel. I am in the midst of my first bus build with the plan being to keep our home as we have acreage and I like my heated shop, rent it out and travel. Our first big adventure will be 90 to 120 days continuous to make sure we are going in the right direction. I would suggest trying some extended stays away before making your decision and to make sure your decision is the right one.
More2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:48 PM   #7

Greetings.

Given we recently went thru a low historic mortgage rate time (maybe Jan2020 at 3%) ;
If you have a low rate loan, you may want to think twice or thrice before paying that back.

Best of luck with your choices.
Professor Bob, Somerset NJ - no bus but dreaming of a six or seven window
bluer04d is offline   Reply With Quote