Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42
Argo Tachograph Questions ...

So our new bus is equipped with an Argo Tachograph (Type 1315-32 to be exact), and it's in there, clicking away the seconds and being a bit of a vampire on my engine batteries ... As I understand it, these record speeds and RPMs and such for logging activity, fuel efficiency, speeding, etc ... I'd like to take it out, but ...

The engine we've got is a T444E, which has the chip in it, and I worry that the two might be linked?

Can I just remove the tachograph without the engine 'knowing it' or recognizing it as 'tampering'? If it's going to be an issue, any clue as to how I might jury-rig the wiring to get around that?

Thanks!

Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Argo Tachograph Questions ...

I just googled tachograph and only found sales info, but it looks lik an independant add on system, you should be able to remove it by unpluging the wires at the engine controller and power leads with no ill effects to the engine.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I haven't seen you get responses from those who have been there, so I'll take some educated guesses. Maybe someone who's worked on them will chime in.

Disclaimer: I'm still a wannabe owner. I've worked on wiring in dozens of skoolies and a few transits in the past, but as a radioman I was just looking for power and ignition sense, removing trim to install antennas and cables, and trying not to screw the vehicle systems up.

The buses with tachographs I've worked on mostly used a different model. They looked more like a parking meter. I never touched them. I think they had the mechanical speedometer cables re-routed to the box. These buses usually had duct tape over the factory speedometer, so the drivers would reference the tachograph display. Yours doesn't, I presume both the speedometer and the tachograph work going down the road?

I tried googling for an installation manual, but no luck. I have to just guess.

In your Photobucket pictures, there are what appear to be at least three electrical contact fingers on the right side of the back housing up by the parking brake knob. I assume that there are also matching contacts (not shown) on the right side of the tip-down display. If you tip the display down, does the bus still start? If it does, you may be OK cutting wires, unless there's a lot of circuitry in the back housing.

I can't make out the protrusion in the center of the back of the display. Is it an electrical connector, or is it a coupling that takes mechanical rotation from a mating speedometer cable socket in the back housing? If it's mechanical, it's very unlikely the unit talks to the engine chip. The only electric part may be the clock. How many wires are there? If it's only three, they may be battery (clock power), ground, and an "ignition on" status indication for the graph.

Your bus may be new enough to use electronic speed sensing information instead. My guess is that if any signal link with the computer exists, it's just speed, or speed and status, etc. (But I've been surprised by unexpected new technology a couple of times in the past.)

If the tachograph wiring has any influence on the computer, I suspect it's likely just the "ignition" power might be looped through the tachograph to prevent driver tampering. My educated guess is that I don't think the device would be likely to affect the chip program parameters, especially since not all bus operators would think the benefits of the tachograph system would justify the cost, and they purchase and run buses without them.

What is your goal? Saving the battery only, or removing the device from the dash? The one photo showing the dial face is blurry, but it looks like there is a clock in the middle of the dial, which is not present on the Argo devices I can find on the internet. Do you care if the clock is wrong?

If it turns out the engine will not run without the tachograph, and you don't care about the clock, just the battery charge, you may be able to disconnect the battery hot wire and connect it to an ignition switched feed, so the tachograph clock only runs when the engine does.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Cool! Thanks for the info. Now that I've got the paper off my windshield, I'll try and fire it up and see how(if) it works. I haven't poked around under the dash to see just what it's got in terms of a hook-up, but I definately don't need a clock or an extra tach or an extra speedo. All the ones in the regular unit seem to work just fine, so I'll be looking to remove it entirely.

I have some evil plans to rebuild the dash and make it more space efficient and aestheticly pleasing ...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote