Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #1
Almost There

Attach hangboard

I want to attach a rock climbing hangboard and some anchor points to attach things like bands, rings, and carabiners to workout on. They need to support my full weight over time without damaging the bus. What's the best way to do this?

Hangboard and anchor points will go right above bus door.

My initial thought: drill thru exterior thru to interior, insert long thick bolt (at least 2 for board) and secure with washer and locknut. Should I put backing of some sort on either side (exterior/interior)? As in, put hangboard, wood board underneath, wood board underneath interior, then washers and lock nuts? Necessary? How to make it look clean? Thoughts?

Pics attached. The exterior light I'm gonna remove, or relocate.
Attached Thumbnails
20220518_090844.jpg   20220518_090856.jpg  

Kwest364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
We had a hangboard over the door in our first bus. It's a great spot for one. I don't remember putting much thought into mounting it - just drilled some holes and put in whatever sheet metal screws I had lying around. I'm probably lucky it stayed up. I wouldn't do it that carelessly again, but...

How thick is that sheet metal above the door? And what is it screwed into, more sheet metal or something structural? A single climbing anchor supporting your whole weight might deform that thin sheet, but a hangboard with 6 screws might do fine. Will there be enough room for a hangboard AND anchors anyway?

Your idea of bolts all the way through might work fine, but I cringe at every additional hole in the exterior skin. That and you should probably investigate what's inside of that sheet metal enclosure before drilling all the way through it.

Good luck on this fun project! Please post pics when you figure out a good solution!
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
There is additional steel above the door. A thick header plate and three ribs. Bridge all three ribs to avoid deforming the sheet metal. You'll want to remove the cover from the interior to measure and align your holes to match the heavy steel.

It may be necessary to attach an adapter (unistrut, 2x6, etc) to the exterior bus, using the interior alignment you have. Then mount the hangboard to the adapter. Spring nuts or lag bolts, respectively, though the factory holes in the hang board.

Use adheasive/sealant, such as Dynatron550 in addition to mechanical fasteners. Dab the rivets/bolts and one face of the material where the two are squeezed together. Both to defend against leaks and aid the shear strength of the fasteners.

Any sample pics of the hangboard style you will use? Rings, Bands, etc...
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote