Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
ATTN: Hampton Roads Area Skoolie Family

First let me just say that this is not in any way a paid recommendation.

I started my conversion project on Dec 4 2019. I was worried about a place to store the bus and all the tools that I needed to buy or rent to complete my conversion.

So naturally I went to google and looked for tool sharing and commercial lots to rent. I came across a wonderful community of makers and DIY'ers. The location is called 757 Makerspace.

It is a DIY'er dream. Of course to access all the tools you need a membership but there's a woodworking shop, metal shop, 3D printers, sowing machines laser-cutter/engravers, a HUGE CNC machine for wood. (That's what I am using) to cut wood for shelves and cabinets and furniture all available with a short safety lesson on the use of certain tools and equipment. Plus if you don't know how to use a 3D printer you can take lessons here as well.

It's located in Ghent and its also next to local brewery too so after a long day of working you can grab some local food and beer too!
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 115
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Your bus is pretty much the same as mine, I hope you post lots of pics of your build.
Chasis = Freightliner
Coach work = Thomas??
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,194
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I've been guessing any school that ordered the mercedes engine also got the MD3060 trans -- am I right?
__________________
David

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
@ Banman Actually it has a Allison 2500PTS
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,194
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieLuvr2015 View Post
@ Banman Actually it has a Allison 2500PTS
I realized your byline after I posted...

BarnYardCamp? What've you got?

I'm really curious how the larger md3060 looks underneath our buses.
__________________
David

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,494
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
We just picked up a Thomas safe t liner with a friend of ours. Mercedes 906 with 3060 Allison. It is noticeably bigger then the at545. It is similar in size to the old MT-40 6 speed Allison.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:49 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I realized your byline after I posted...

BarnYardCamp? What've you got?

I'm really curious how the larger md3060 looks underneath our buses.


SO DID I
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Inside one of the large bays at 757 Makerspace

As you can see the Makerspace has plenty of inside work space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (76.1 KB, 23 views)
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieLuvr2015 View Post
As you can see the Makerspace has plenty of inside work space.
I live in VB and have visited the MakerSpace during open house. Very nice setup they have. What did they charge you for parking the bus there? And the big question: were you able to find an affordable insurance policy thatís legit for the bus and what did you register it as?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
I love the Hampton Roads area. I was stationed at Langley AFB. There is just so much to do in the area. I don't have a bus right now, but we can always hope...
tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
@ dgorila1

No insurance yet and it's still titled as a SB ;)

As for what I am paying, lets just say I think its fair considering I have a covered storage unit open 24 hours and access to all the tools and more!!
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
@ BarnYardCamp

I have some in my photo album..not many but a few. This week I am prepping the deck for paint and hole patching.
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:43 AM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieLuvr2015 View Post
@ dgorila1

No insurance yet and it's still titled as a SB ;)

As for what I am paying, lets just say I think its fair considering I have a covered storage unit open 24 hours and access to all the tools and more!!
So they let you leave it inside.....that's awesome! I have been trying to figure out somewhere in our area that could be rented, is inside and large enough to fit a bus to work on. Browsing through industrial rental listings, everything is so expensive, even in the worst areas of Norfolk and Portsmouth. Is there room for more than one large vehicle in the space, and is it climate controlled so you can work on it all year round? Heck even if it's just covered/enclosed you're still out of the elements and making out. I will have to keep them in mind when I finally get a vehicle, especially since they have all the tools/equipment needed to weld and woodwork.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #14
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,018
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
So they let you leave it inside.....that's awesome! I have been trying to figure out somewhere in our area that could be rented, is inside and large enough to fit a bus to work on. Browsing through industrial rental listings, everything is so expensive, even in the worst areas of Norfolk and Portsmouth. Is there room for more than one large vehicle in the space, and is it climate controlled so you can work on it all year round? Heck even if it's just covered/enclosed you're still out of the elements and making out. I will have to keep them in mind when I finally get a vehicle, especially since they have all the tools/equipment needed to weld and woodwork.
I found an inside garage space in Jersey last year, 40'x15' with electricity and water and even a small bathroom, $400 a month. Right before renting it sight unseen it occurred to me to ask them how high it was: 10' ceiling with a 9' tall door, unfortunately.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Nice and Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
So they let you leave it inside.....that's awesome! I have been trying to figure out somewhere in our area that could be rented, is inside and large enough to fit a bus to work on. Browsing through industrial rental listings, everything is so expensive, even in the worst areas of Norfolk and Portsmouth. Is there room for more than one large vehicle in the space, and is it climate controlled so you can work on it all year round? Heck even if it's just covered/enclosed you're still out of the elements and making out. I will have to keep them in mind when I finally get a vehicle, especially since they have all the tools/equipment needed to weld and woodwork.
It is not climate controlled but its inside out of the elements. I have overhead lights and there are plenty of spot lights in the tool section to use...just have to put them back at the end of work. I am paying 500$ a month.

As soon as I am sealed up and insulated I will take it out and continue to work on it from outside. I want to break my apartment lease and start living in the bus at a RV camp site located in JEB Little Creek. That's where my ship is at. Then I can keep all my rent money for the completion of the conversion. My retirement date is March 2021
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I found an inside garage space in Jersey last year, 40'x15' with electricity and water and even a small bathroom, $400 a month. Right before renting it sight unseen it occurred to me to ask them how high it was: 10' ceiling with a 9' tall door, unfortunately.
That's another thing I found, most commercial shop rentals didn't have 14' garage doors. 8' or 10' seem to be the norm.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #17
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieLuvr2015 View Post
It is not climate controlled but its inside out of the elements. I have overhead lights and there are plenty of spot lights in the tool section to use...just have to put them back at the end of work. I am paying 500$ a month.

As soon as I am sealed up and insulated I will take it out and continue to work on it from outside. I want to break my apartment lease and start living in the bus at a RV camp site located in JEB Little Creek. That's where my ship is at. Then I can keep all my rent money for the completion of the conversion. My retirement date is March 2021
$500 a month is a good deal, considering it's inside and you have all the tools at your disposal to use as needed. Do the base campgrounds allow "non factory" rv's and long term living? Congrats on the pending retirement. You should be counting it down in days now! You can kill most of the next 11 months doing all the pre-discharge classes, physicals, etc needed to prep for civilian life.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Sorta..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
$500 a month is a good deal, considering it's inside and you have all the tools at your disposal to use as needed. Do the base campgrounds allow "non factory" rv's and long term living? Congrats on the pending retirement. You should be counting it down in days now! You can kill most of the next 11 months doing all the pre-discharge classes, physicals, etc needed to prep for civilian life.
Yeah the camp ground is alright with the bus. I didn't tell them I may be in and out on a weekend bases though. Driving to and from the Makerspace...

I really didn't expect my last year in the navy to be cooped up...the pre-discharge classes are postponed till the COVID pandemic slows down. Also all unessential visit to the clinic are highly discouraged. There's one thing that makes me smile though....most of my coworkers have probably forgot about my retirement date...it will be hilarious when I just dip out on them for terminal leave
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #19
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 547
What’s your rate?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
DoxieLuvr2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Two wire electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
What’s your rate?
I am an Interior Electrician Tech or IC1 currently stationed on the USS Carter Hall LSD 50.

Are you military too?
__________________
🚌 2005 Freightliner 30', MBE 906 6.4L, AT 2500PTS
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
757, conversion, diy, makerspace, tool share

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×