Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Auction closes interested in two!

I am super into two busses from the same seller. The online auction closes at the same time for both of them. If I happen to win on both, will I really be taking both home? Thoughts comments suggestions?? I only need one 🤪

Side note, anyone have experience with CNG??

olivemartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If you win both, I think you'd be obliged to buy both. Maybe you could work out a deal with the seller to cancel one of them, but that's not really good for the seller as they of course want to sell both buses. On the flip side (literally) you could always flip one of them, probably for a big profit in the current market.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
t's not really good for the seller as they of course want to sell both buses. On the flip side (literally) you could always flip one of them, probably for a big profit in the current market.
Not with a CNG bus unless it's a very uninformed buyer and/or OP gets it for pennies on the dollar and actually has a way to get the bus home.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

That’s not a bad idea! Thanks!
Old 06-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

OP, I hope you realize what you are getting into with a CNG bus. Are you planning on traveling a lot with it? Your range is very limited and depending on the area it can be difficult to find gas stations that sell CNG.

The fuel tanks on these buses have expiration dates at which point the replacement cost makes these vehicles scrap candidates at best.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Not with a CNG bus unless it's a very uninformed buyer and/or OP gets it for pennies on the dollar and actually has a way to get the bus home.
Sure, but I wasn't assuming OP was actually bidding on two CNG buses. I assumed they were just asking about CNG out of curiosity. You're right that flipping a CNG bus would be a tall order.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Sure, but I wasn't assuming OP was actually bidding on two CNG buses. I assumed they were just asking about CNG out of curiosity. You're right that flipping a CNG bus would be a tall order.
I had a guy on my local marketplace that was trying to sell a CNG blue bird for a solid year and a half. Started out at 8k with the seats removed and i think it was down to 1500 by the time the listing finally disapeared.

There's a district in Colorado selling a few 2017 CNG Blue Bird AAREs on Govdeals right now, I would be interested to see how much they go for.

They stated in the listing that they were selling because lack of filling stations near them which makes me wonder who approved the purchase of $125k buses with a clear lack of supporting infrastructure for them
Old 06-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I had a guy on my local marketplace that was trying to sell a CNG blue bird for a solid year and a half. Started out at 8k with the seats removed and i think it was down to 1500 by the time the listing finally disapeared.

There's a district in Colorado selling a few 2017 CNG Blue Bird AAREs on Govdeals right now, I would be interested to see how much they go for.

They stated in the listing that they were selling because lack of filling stations near them which makes me wonder who approved the purchase of $125k buses with a clear lack of supporting infrastructure for them
When I first got my bus I made a few calls to get in touch with the school system that originally owned it (the chief mechanic there remembered the bus and confirmed that the engine had been rebuilt at 120K, but expressed surprise that the bus was still in existence). Afterwards two different people from that school system cold-called me to see if I wanted to buy one of their CNG buses. It gave me the strong impression that these things are disasters from a financial standpoint.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

There are lots of stations where I live. Would be mostly living in with occasional travel. Can you tell me what else you know about the engines and stuff? I’m trying to research but this site has better advice than anywhere else
Old 06-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
our city uses a whole fleet of CNG gilligs.. from what I understand there are regulations and permitting which change with the size of the fuel tanks.. so to keep costs down your busses may have low capacity tanks.. being the busses are run close to home and can be filled often.. the city has its own rapid fueling center so they can fill the busses between every shift that they run.. they had a lot of issues in the beginning with popping out the exhaust and refilling issues.. the latest busses less than 5 years old these issues are resolved and the city likes them.. im guessing you would be buying older units that could very well still have the early-on issues..

I wouldnt want it for the simple fact if your idea or circumstances change your bus isnt very versatile to adapt
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
I agree with everything above. I love CNG buses, and still may buy one some day.

If you buy them for a skoolie conversion project, they essentially have to be a lot cheaper than free, considering what an equivalent diesel bus can be had for.

If you buy them to nerd out over the power train, spend an unknown number of hours (tens to thousands) to convert them to LPG, gasoline, or electric - only you can tell what it's worth. Hopefully you have the space to store one for what may be years. And deep pockets.

There's someone on here that just bought one in the Pacific Northwest. I hope he made it to Florida, IIRC. But I haven't heard anything lately.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

I've seen some REALLY clean California spec Blue Bird AARE's with that John Deere CNG engine that could work for a repower project if someone already had a drivetrain to go in. They were high roof, pass through understorage with perfect condition bodies.

It would be a massive amount of work and would basically have to be free (but I still watched morons overpay anyway )
Old 06-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, there is one I’m watching in auction that’s at 3,000 RN. It’s almost brand new. 2016 with I think 44,000 miles. I’m torn because it would be cool to take through Mexico.

Getting around the states I think I could deal with, but maybe not if the tanks are too small.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivemartini View Post
Yeah, there is one I’m watching in auction that’s at 3,000 RN. It’s almost brand new. 2016 with I think 44,000 miles. I’m torn because it would be cool to take through Mexico.

Getting around the states I think I could deal with, but maybe not if the tanks are too small.
That's new enough that other districts are probably going to be bidding on it and the final amount typically doesn't change much until the very end of the auction.

I can guarantee you any MY 2016 bus is going to go for a LOT more than $3K.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

A girl can hope! Lol. Still on the hunt but good info from all of you, thank you
Old 06-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I don't want to insult...so my apologies for asking...but you mentioned wishing to take the bus to Mexico someday, perhaps. Are you sure you're not thinking of LPG instead of CNG? I just want to make sure you're clear on the difference and not confusing the two. LPG offers many more filling and travel range options. Please accept my apologies in advance if that question made you say, "Duh, Ross..."
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for not making me feel like a dummy! Lol! No worries at all, I’ve been trying to research both options, but came across a CNG bus. I still have next to no clue about either options, but knew you guys could help me learn. So; unless I completely luck out and I can really buy that bus for 3000, I’ll have to pass. I need to learn way more
Old 06-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I cannot imagine that you'd be happy, long term, with a CNG bus...apologies to Bert who wants one! I just think that the limitations on fueling stations here in the US would be limiting...there are places you won't be able to explore. And I have no idea what the availability in Mexico is.

My suggestion, which has little value since I don't know what your plans or needs are, is to pass on the CNG bus...even at $3k it won't be a bargain. It's been said, and it's true...the cheapest purchase is often the bus itself...it's all the stuff which comes after that's expensive.

Having butted in and made a suggestion, let me try to redeem myself and find out more about your needs and plans. What kind of bus are you looking for? How big? Do you have a preference towards conventional or flat front? Front engine or rear engine? Will you be strictly highway and good roads, or would you hope to take your bus on forest service and dirt roads? Give us more info and the gang here can help guide you to some options.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I cannot imagine that you'd be happy, long term, with a CNG bus...apologies to Bert who wants one! I just think that the limitations on fueling stations here in the US would be limiting...there are places you won't be able to explore. And I have no idea what the availability in Mexico is.

My suggestion, which has little value since I don't know what your plans or needs are, is to pass on the CNG bus...even at $3k it won't be a bargain. It's been said, and it's true...the cheapest purchase is often the bus itself...it's all the stuff which comes after that's expensive.

Having butted in and made a suggestion, let me try to redeem myself and find out more about your needs and plans. What kind of bus are you looking for? How big? Do you have a preference towards conventional or flat front? Front engine or rear engine? Will you be strictly highway and good roads, or would you hope to take your bus on forest service and dirt roads? Give us more info and the gang here can help guide you to some options.
Thanks Ross! That thought of not being able to explore everywhere weirdly didn’t even cross my mind. I looked at the cng map and was like ya! They go all the way across east to west! But miss a huge chunk of the states and Canada. Couldn’t find a single one in Mexico.

I don’t have a preference on what kind of bus. Just the rust free (or minimal) kind lol! I prefer a snub nose but would be happy with any school or transit if it’s in good shape. Def a full size. We have three dogs and will need some serious insulation so any extra space (and height) would be a major bonus. Prefer rear engine but fine with either.

It will mainly be parked, but I have summers off (teacher lyfe whoop whooooop!) so summer exploring will be a thing. Mostly paved roads, highway, etc. I expect to hit dirt paths in places like state parks, etc, but won’t be creating any of my own!

So realistically I’m just looking for something reliable that won’t break the bank. I’ve been looking mostly at engines, miles, and rust. Hoping for a DT466 with a glowing chassis and not a speck of rust..... HA! Really, not picky. Grateful for the help ��
Old 06-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
It’s true. I want a CNG bus. To tinker with. To make a custom engine management system. To learn about fuel maps. Not to go places, at least not until I have it converted to run on, probably, propane.

But I also want an electric bus. To tinker with. To buy 100kWh of questionable lithium cells off Craigslist from a guy named Vladimir. To cobble together a range extender that runs on anything combustible. Not to go places, at least not until it’s proven to be really reliable.

But I also need a bus to go places. I have a partner who, for some reason, thinks that the whole point of having a house with wheels is to make those wheels turn. Not to have it parked in the driveway, while I’m tinkering with it over the Labor Day weekend for the third year in a row. “I’m SO CLOSE honey to make it idle smoothly! Really! Yes I know I said that last Thanksgiving!”

Unfortunately it’s also true that the cost of the bus itself is almost irrelevant. The bus-to-Skoolie metamorphosis is much more costly than the bus itself. Unless the engine blows up, then it becomes a little more balanced. A transmission rebuild on top of that would make it about even.

So yeah. Don’t buy the CNG bus. Not for $5000. Not for $3000.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auction, cng