Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Auction SCORE!!

Ran into a RV parts and supply store and repair shop auction this morning! What a trip!!

Scored nearly a dozen oak cabinet doors WITH all the hardware...$2.00
Bathroom door w/mirror and hardware...$1.00
New bathroom metal/enamel sink....$2.00
Drivers adjustable chair and four new lounge chairs....$5.00
New metal/enamel double kitchen sink....$3.00
Four folding and various sized camper tables....$1.00
New range hood w/fan....$11.00
Used camper door....$5.00
Used RV Washer and Dryer....$5.00

These will all be going into my '85 International/Thomas 54 passenger bus conversion. I'm seriously jazzed about the RV Washer and Dryer. They are both Maytag's; the washing machine is a Maytag Model A50 and the Dryer is a Maytag Model DE50. I first worked on the dryer cleaning it up from dust and crud from sitting in a warehouse for who knows how many years. I took off the back cover and thoroughly cleaned it out. It ran perfectly.

Next I tackled the Maytag A50 washing machine. It's a strange little thing beast with a washing side and a separate small spinning tub beside it all in one unit. Again it needed a thorough cleaning. It took me several runs to figure out how to run through the various cycles. It was interesting to see the twin side agitators that work surprisingly well at churning and mixing up all the water. Once I figured it out it's pretty easy to run through. There is a small leak from some of the old rubber fittings that I'm going to have to work on. Nothing major. I think just lubing up the rubber and a little Teflon plumbing tape will take care of any small drips.

The dryer can actually be wall mounted and if the roof of my bus had been raised...something I am planning on doing down the road but just don't have time to accomplish right now, I could stack them with the dryer over the washing machine. I'll try to post some pictures so you can have a look at them. I'm figuring that they are both circa 70's/80's judging by the colors, that ugly Almond Gold. I'm going to repaint them a simple gloss white, both the metal and plastic parts.

The bottom line is that now my better half has the ability to wash and dry clothes on board the bus. You can't wash a bunch at one time, but she really hates to use laundromats. Silly I know, but then she's married to me so she actually has to be a little silly.

I've tried finding both owner and repair manuals on line but so far...no luck. If anyone here knows of a source for manuals and parts I'd appreciate it. So far my Google-Mojo has been running a little weak. I need to locate replacement round urethane belts for both units. The dryer belt broke after about thirty minutes. They get yellowed and brittle with age. I think I can utilize a small thin V-belt, but I'd like to keep things original if possible.

oakspring is offline   Reply With Quote