Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Awnings

I Plan on putting a commercial unit on the "working side" of my bus. Also plan on getting one of the zip on screen rooms that you can get for them. Figure it would be good for extra sleeping arrangements and bug free barbi/eating place. Have seen a coulpe of busses with them and thought they looked alright mounted up. A home made one would work, but the ease of setting up a "store bought" unit, outweighs the cost. IMHO

Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Dont have one yet, but it is for sure in the plans. For now I think just a big tarp will have to do.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

4 easy ups (which sometimes are not easy) affords alot of flexibility.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

I agree that the EasyUps are awsome! But sometimes they are a little too "easy" to float "up" in strong winds, so make sure to use weights on the legs (I use gallon jugs from milk with water in them for light wind, and sand for heavy winds).

In the meantime, I'm going to use the tarp method with wooden legs. May be a PITA to put up at first, but should do in a pinch to make a shady work station while building stuff for BOB.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

SJ - I may be interested in the awning, where are you located?
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

My "awning" cost me about $2. It's just a cheap tarp, some rope, some leftover 1x2's (sharpened with my angle grinder, no less), all tied and staked over the door. It is exceedingly flexible, cheap, and easy. I've seen too many of those commercial awnings folded up in anything more than a slight breeze. That said, I've toyed with the idea of making my own real awning.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

When I had an Airstream(sold it to buy the bus), I ran across a thread where a guy made one out of a tarp, a large PVC pipe and a small pipe, which was retractable via hand crank. It was a good simple design if you dont mind guy ropes at the end. Ill try to locate the thread.

Could not find it. In summary;

Wrap your material of choice around stiff small diameter pipe. Cut a kerf in large pipe. Slide rolled up material into large pipe with material hanging out of kerf. Cap each end with small diameter pipe protruding thru one cap with hardware to accept a removable crank of some sort. Now you have a retractable tarp that looks like a PT boat torpedo tube hanging on the side of your bus. With the right paint scheme it would look kinda cool.

one example
http://www.lcool.org/technical/sunshade/sun_shade.html
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins

Shoot, Im way too far to pickup. Wish they were east, I need an awning.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
When I had an Airstream(sold it to buy the bus), I ran across a thread where a guy made one out of a tarp, a large PVC pipe and a small pipe, which was retractable via hand crank. It was a good simple design if you dont mind guy ropes at the end. Ill try to locate the thread.

Could not find it. In summary;

Wrap your material of choice around stiff small diameter pipe. Cut a kerf in large pipe. Slide rolled up material into large pipe with material hanging out of kerf. Cap each end with small diameter pipe protruding thru one cap with hardware to accept a removable crank of some sort. Now you have a retractable tarp that looks like a PT boat torpedo tube hanging on the side of your bus. With the right paint scheme it would look kinda cool.

one example
http://www.lcool.org/technical/sunshade/sun_shade.html
I like that idea, it would look pretty good if you could find material other than your basic plastic tarps. Might have to go to a big fabric store to see what they have.

Chad
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas

Here is mine just got it done this weekend..

There are more pic. under my bus project with a new name post
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas

Well I have had it in a rain storm didn't do to bad I sloped it a little more so it didn't hold much water. But I wanted to test with the rain with it out. And I did set under it with beer no fishing pole. As for the wind there was some wind and it didn't do to bad but if it would have got much stronger I would have tied it down or rolled it up .
Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

FWIW... I'm in the process of collecting parts to put together a "store bought" awning. I scored an 18' footer for free. The fabric was SHOT but I found several sellers on E-Bay selling replacement awings for around $120. You just gotta ask questions. Some will have a pinhole or stain. The one I have coming has the valance with it too! You can fix or patch a pinhole and a stain?? WHO CARES??? Its gonna get stained somewhere along its life anyway right?? Mine is gonna be a Carefree of Colorado brand as soon as I find some arms for cheap enough. The awning arms I got with the awning looks to be Frankensteined together from spare and homemade parts and has a wierd way of locking in the rolled up/travel position and I dont like it. My awning front arm will be mounted just behind the front door and ahead of the side window on my bus. I would like to have it over the door as well but its not gonna come out that way. If I did, I would have to figure out a way to mount the lower part of the rear arm to my rear wheel! The rear arm will come out perfectly just behind the rear tire.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0152.JPG  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote