Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Backup Camera, Navigation, Audio Screen

Been working on the Vintage Motorhome.

I would like to put in a display that would be a rearview mirror, navigation display, and music/radio player. Looking at lots of options out there, most are specific to the task. There are some essentially Android tablets made to do it all, about $200. Here is one example.

I think i'd rather have the display up high and bigger, and I want to integrate multiple cameras. Not exactly a product that does all this.
Here is an example of almost what I want, just a much bigger screen.
(and btw, this guy has lots of great videos, smart fella)

Other people interested in something like this, or have other ideas?

I was also thinking a projector display might work better, and move it once parked to show movies on a display.

BTW, I sold the 8-track player/radio from the motorhome for $85 on ebay.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Someone stole my 4/8 track about 50 years ago, I'm still keeping an eye out for it.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I bet Rwnielsen's 8-track player was in Benimble's bus. Benimble, did you by chance sell it to Rwnielsen? Ha!

So a couple of things to look into. Cadillackid apparently has a glass panel setup, and if you go on YouTube and look up airplane glass panel you'll see what they're doing with that stuff.

I get what you're saying about all in one and a big screen. But I'm starting to think separating them out to two or three screens might be safer and easier. For me, I want to be able to see what I want to see when I'm driving without having to shake my eyes off the road and having it large enough to read the information.

When I want to back up then I don't mind looking up at my screen cuz I'm not going forward! Smart huh?

Then there's all the engine information. If I use a blue fire, then I'll go tablet. A ScanGauge is self-contained, but the screen is so small.

I haven't looked up Cadillac stuff to see if he has pictures and such. He's a software guru, so I think he coded a bunch of stuff. I don't have that talent or patience.

I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Looking forward to the replies as I want the same thing
Old 04-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i have an 8-track out of my old 77 truck you can have.
was working when removed but all of my tapes were stretched/wore out and i couldnt find any i liked anywhere at the time so out it went.
plus my factory speakers were about shot?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Been working on the Vintage Motorhome.

I would like to put in a display that would be a rearview mirror, navigation display, and music/radio player. Looking at lots of options out there, most are specific to the task. There are some essentially Android tablets made to do it all, about $200. Here is one example.

I think i'd rather have the display up high and bigger, and I want to integrate multiple cameras. Not exactly a product that does all this.
Here is an example of almost what I want, just a much bigger screen.
(and btw, this guy has lots of great videos, smart fella)

Other people interested in something like this, or have other ideas?

I was also thinking a projector display might work better, and move it once parked to show movies on a display.

BTW, I sold the 8-track player/radio from the motorhome for $85 on ebay.

The multi-purpose stereo unit in the picture looks like the one I bought for my Crown. I planned to use it with a backup camera.
I have other plans for road cams that involve two or four cameras that are HD and the digital video is recorded on micro SD cards. I use a two camera system on the bike for road trip videos but mainly lawyer protection in case of a wreck. The system in my bike is physically rather small and mounts to the handlebars. The cameras are also rather small but provide very clear video. Having comparably much more power available one could even leave the system powered up all the time when on a trip.
One would have to change the micro SD card daily as they do fill up fast.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I bought a couple walmart 7in tablets ($38 'refurb') and have spent hours trying to see what software I need to install on it to make it into a head unit. So many dead ends here. The real key issue is being able to connect to your phone to get its GPS, maps, and phone features, calls, text, and even FM radio.
The commercial products and car OEM setups seem to do that, but I don't see how they do it, don't see any software to install. Not even sure how the youtube video guy did it, it is a couple years old now, software seemed to change..

I expected to develop my own software to integrate multiple cameras, but did not expect to deal with everything else myself.

As an aside, I just have to share how I took the 1999 Dodge dash that goes with the drivetrain swap into the motorhome, and disassembled it and move the individual gauges into the vintage dash cluster still driven by the late model dash circuit board. Never thought I could do that, these are the DIY rat holes I dig myself into trying to do things 'better, cheaper, faster'.
Two remaining issues, the fuel gauge and speedo incompatible with vintage dash, so have to build a solution to drive the fuel gauge, and read speed and spin the speedo myself. ;)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210331_213708[1].jpg  
Old 04-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
I’d have the backup camera as a second screen. I use mine as a rear view mirror.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
I’d have the backup camera as a second screen. I use mine as a rear view mirror.
Might make more sense, particularly when the rearview is up top, not convenient for a touch interface.. but can be the same system with two displays, in dash for human interface.