Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Skoolie

Bagged?

I searched for this also and couldn't find anything. Has anyone put an Air Ride (or like) kit on their bus before? http://www.airride.com/

Something that would allow you to drop it to the frame? I realize that the rear would need to be C-notched and I'm not sure about the front (would depend on the model), but it's something that I'd like to do. Make it really stable for people on the top and not as high for both inside and top access.

Thanks.

davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx
So you want to have full air suspension that has the ability to lower onto solid supports when parked? Sounds like allot of work converting to full air if the bus is currently leaf sprung. You would probably have to eliminate the bump stops to lower more than a couple inches. I've added air springs to my rear axle but only as a helper to the leaf springs. They don't really raise or lower the bus to any degree.

http://trx.punknet.org/Gallery/Skoolie2006Air

Why not just put jacks at the corners to take are of the stability issue?

Chad
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Skoolie

Hi Chad, I want the look also.

I finally got a bus back to town, so I've been looking into it a little more. I will likely have to C-notch the rear of the frame. I'm probably going to remove all of the leafs but one and add some kind of triangulated locating device. I was happy to find out that the front is a solid axle, so that will be much easier than dealing with IFS.

I found some 14" travel Firestone bags. I'm not sure yet how I will control them (by plumbing valve if I have to), I'll probably adapt some other controller kit to it, either Firestone, Air Ride, or the likes.

Still lots of learning to do though. I still haven't been able to find any information on someone that's done this yet. Surely someone has though.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I don't know about your bus, but on mine there isn't a whole lot of room between that solid axle and the oil pan. On top of that there is a WHOLE lot of stuff that's well below the framerails, not the least of which being the tranny pan. Are you just trying to stabilize it when you park or throw sparks?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Skoolie

Interesting point. I haven't really been able to inspect mine all that much at this point. I'm not sure what all would need to be tucked up. I know the door step is a little lower than the rest of the body line. It could either end up being on the ground or needing to come off.

It's still very much a concept at this point... that in the end may not mesh well with reality. I'm not trying to throw sparks necessarily, but I am after that lowered stance (if you've seen cars/trucks with Air Ride). The stability would be a possible plus, but after seeing how big that thing is, I don't think stability will be much of an issue.

Even if not dropped, has anyone converted to a full blown air ride suspension, away from leaf springs? That's pretty much the same concept. Mine would probably just be a lower version of that setup. Some of them may have come stock with them even? I know very little about buses outside of the last couple of weeks of reading.

Edit: About the stance, I would like to tuck the wheels/tires up in the fenders a little.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek

swapping all your springs for bags seems like a huge feat. Don't let that stop you! A skoolie can be come whatever you make of it.

how many people do you think told the guy that buit the wheelie bus for the drag strip that you can't make a bus do wheelies???

if you have the time money effort energy and desire you can accomplish just about anything....

i think it would be awsome to watch a lowered skoolie pull up, then drop all the way to the ground. That's a good anti theft device too!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
how many people do you think told the guy that buit the wheelie bus for the drag strip that you can't make a bus do wheelies???
Uh nobody because that is not a real bus its a funny car.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Uh nobody because that is not a real bus its a funny car.
Minor detail.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I think this is a real possibility, There is plenty of room to raise the engine and transmission to allow room for the front axle to raise (lower the bus) If not, make room! A massive c-notch in the rear will be required, but it's all doable. GO FOR IT!!!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis441
I think this is a real possibility, There is plenty of room to raise the engine and transmission to allow room for the front axle to raise (lower the bus) If not, make room! A massive c-notch in the rear will be required, but it's all doable. GO FOR IT!!!
You read my mind on the raising of the drivetrain. There should be plenty of room to work with. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming. I'll post pics as we start working on it in a couple of weeks.